Author Topic: Walk With Me  (Read 1976 times)

lilys field

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
Walk With Me
« on: September 07, 2019, 04:07:23 AM »
Last year on Sept. 21 Maiko (the Maltese/ShihTzu - who then was 11 years old) and I joined the Walk to Defeat ALS at Eisenhower Park in NYC. Admittedly, we straggled in close to the end but we passed the finish line.  Most importantly we raised over $1700.  The Walk, of course, raised thousands more.   This year The Walk falls on the same date and Maiko and I and husband plan to  be there, we may cheat a little and idle around more than walk which we will blame entirely on Maiko's age.  A few of you may recall that I am technologically challenged, so when I give you the following information it may be deeply screwed up.  If you want to know about the walk, or ALS or my personal story here are a couple of options:  you can go to the ALS Association's site, Greater New York Chapter, and noodle around until you find a place where you can type in my name (Paula Penn), or you can type in NowTeam.  Or you can use the computer address I was assigned (I am crossing my fingers and spitting three times before giving it... here goes:  http://web/alsa.org/gotoNowTeam2019.  If any gentle Chi reader has the patience and inclination to adjust these cyber directions to something more effective, I would welcome your help.

While I'm here, there's something I've been meaning to say for a long time.  That is how much I appreciate the entire community.  Alan, people thank you so often for your fair-minded genius.  I hope you and the players also know that this game and the people playing supply support, entertainment and distraction for many who may be a bit stymied by some limitation (probably a totally socially incorrect term because some limitations open additional pathways).

Best to all,

Lily's field/Paula/Justme

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: Walk With Me
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 04:57:57 AM »
Beautifully put Paula.  Sorry I can't offer any technical support because I'm fairly hopeless.  I hope you, your husband & Maiko enjoy The Walk :)
Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 05:26:48 AM »
Hi Paula,

I support Pen's comments about being beautifully put but not about her being hopeless - technically challenged - Maybe? ;) but if you follow her posts you would find it hard to believe.

I have put a link below so forumites can go directly to your page.  I am sure many of us will be mentally walking with you and supporting you on September 21.

Click here to go directly to Paula's Page

P.S.  It is a long time since we have asked about Alonzo Quixote.  Do you have any current information on his situation?
Regards, Jack

lilys field

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 07:17:01 AM »
Thanks OzzyJack for making such a quick fix to my post.  You and Pen are my GoTo place to rest my brain after it gets word-depleted.

Alonzo called me many weeks ago after he had been transferred to another facility, due to insurance insufficiencies.  The new place he found to be tolerable but not as helpful as the previous one.  He has no access to digital devices as far as I can tell and even gaining access to a telephone was a trial for him.  The communication difficulty is compounded by the fact that my speech is now extremely labored and hard for some to understand.  Alonzo and I do have a common friend who frequently sees him.  I am sure she would inform me of any change in his circumstance.  Thank you for remembering him.  I will alert Chi when I learn more.

Paula

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 10:30:04 AM »
I was glad to hear news of Alonzo, Paula, but hadn't liked to ask, so thank you.

How frustrating his current situation is for him. I am so thankful that although there are things I can't do, I can at least communicate via email, play sudoku - and enjoy Chi!

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 01:08:37 PM »
Good luck with the walk, Paula. And with the fund raising. I think ALS is essentially the same condition as motor neurone disease, which is the term normally used here in Australia.

And thanks for the update on AQ.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 10:16:56 PM »
I can at least communicate via email, play sudoku - and enjoy Chi!

Have you tried Killer Sudoku, anona? If you haven't heard of it, let me assure you that it's not extra hard Sudoku! It's the same game, with the same rules, but the whole grid is broken down into 'cages' containing anything from one to nine squares and you're not given any numbers to start with (except in the very easy ones). Each cage contains the sum of the numbers that go in the cage. For example a cage surrounding three squares might contain 23, which means that the numbers it contains are 6, 8 and 9 as that's the only combination that makes that sum (even if the cage extends across more than one nine-square section it's not allowed to contain the same number twice). That's a simple example - if the cage contains, say, 18 there will be multiple possible combinations.  That might sound impossible but it's not, and it's really not as complicated as it sounds. I first came across one in a newspaper many years ago. It stated that it should take 33 minutes to complete. I was intrigued by how it could be done with no starter numbers so I had a go at it - it took me three days, on and off. But by then I'd become hooked.

I find it much more enjoyable than ordinary SuDoKu because it involves arithmetic as well as logic. I can strongly recommend it.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 10:20:50 PM by pat »

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 08:33:28 AM »
Pat: you've reminded me!  I tried it many years ago when I started playing sudoku, but was able to do only the simplest ones at that point and have just forgotten about it since.  I must give it another go and see whether my brain is up to it these days.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 10:37:00 AM »
I think ALS is essentially the same condition as motor neurone disease, which is the term normally used here in Australia.

And thanks for the update on AQ.

I think motor neuron disease, or just MND, is also the usual UK term.
Best wishes from me for a very worthwhile cause.
Mike

lilys field

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 05:49:34 AM »
MND, even motor neuron disease, is surely less of a mouthful than amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or the less severe primary lateral sclerosis.  Mike and Alan thanks for clarifying.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 03:54:19 AM »
less of a mouthful than amyotrophic lateral sclerosis

Which is why I almost always see it as "Lou Gehrig's disease" - even if most of the younger generations won't know who Lou Gehrig was (famous baseball player).

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2019, 12:51:43 PM »
Hi Paula.
I hope you were able to "walk the walk" yesterday and that all went well for you.
Auntiemo.
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 12:18:16 AM »
Same from me Paula.
Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

lilys field

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2019, 08:09:32 AM »
Ah… you are so thoughtful for remembering the date and asking.  The weather was perfect—and so was the spirit.  It was one of the instances of clarity when hundreds of humans showed the colors of their best selves.  And to think…that this seemingly far flung community of Chi gave support and goodwill to me, someone no current players know, is the evidence that there is plenty of plain goodness still flourishing.  It heartens all wounded.

It was a bit like going to the Grand Canyon when the light changes, and there is vastness and awe, majesty and a push to prostrate oneself before it all.  Only it was bustling and festive…people walking on behalf of people past and present.  People facing grave loss yet still waving as they passed by.  It was interval without thought of our angry differences…leveled for these moments by the commonality of something greater than that which divides.

I hope you  will all have, and continue to have,  inspired times and occasions that fill you with gratitude and humanity.

Paula