Author Topic: Environs in the ten letter conserving/conversing game  (Read 2742 times)

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Environs in the ten letter conserving/conversing game
« on: September 03, 2019, 07:51:23 PM »
On too many occasions I've played "environ" and was surprised when it came up as a rare word, so I was annoyed when I finally had an S in the game I didn't think to tack it on to make the common word of environs. Having said that, I can't recall coming up with the letters to allow environs ever since I've been playing - three years this week actually! I was also annoyed because I often press on a word to see the full description of the word and it actually said "especially in plural" but because it didn't actually say "environs" I just didn't gel! Well done to the only two who got rosettes - Rhino and Mkenuk.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: Environs in the ten letter conserving/conversing game
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 08:45:14 PM »
I missed it too and it cost me a rosette.  I did actually think of it, but didn't play it because I'd already played environ and thought it would contravene the plurals rule.  So near, and yet... Live and learn.  I'll remember it next time.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 09:50:18 PM »
I'm afraid I cheated a little bit here;
I knew that somewhere on the forum was a list, produced by Alan, showing all the words with forms permitted in Chi both with and without 's' - tong / tongs, crap / craps etc and, having a feeling that environs was included,  I did check this list before playing it.

https://theforum.lexigame.com/index.php/topic,1961.msg42248.html#msg42248

It wasn't, incidentally, the last word I played - that was voice

« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 09:55:24 PM by mkenuk »

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 08:56:39 AM »
That's not cheating - that's just smart! Thanks for sharing - I didn't know about this list.

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 05:29:15 PM »
Indeed Jacki.  I wasn't aware of that list either.  But no doubt I should have been considering my long-term membership.  Thanks MK.  You always manage to solve our problems.  Environs was the word I missed too.  Dammit!
I'll sleep in my next life

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 09:14:06 PM »
I don't think Alan has updated the list since it was first posted in 2010.
One common word that is not on this list is hots as in 'have the hots for someone'.
A horrible expression, but, unfortunately, very common.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 09:54:46 AM »
Need to add banns, alms and noes. Probably more - this is fun. Let's build a list. Bold typeface for common words.

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 10:49:39 AM »
  CRAPS

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 04:33:09 PM »
Need to add banns, alms and noes. Probably more - this is fun. Let's build a list. Bold typeface for common words.

Hi Jacki,

I've taken Alan's list and added the other suggestions to give you a running start for your list (see attached).  It will need editing for other additions, if any, since 2010 and some of bolded words are probably rare. I hope you find it useful. I have saved it in an old edition of WORD so you don't have to have the latest update to read it and edit it.
Regards, Jack

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 08:52:19 PM »
Holy snapping catfish that is AMAZING!!! Gee I love this community. Nerdy, nice and next level. I'll have to have a good read and see what (if any thing needs adding) - we can all contribute but let's just say what a fabulous start! Thank you

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 10:04:47 AM »
Here are some to add to the list that I believe are all common. Would you be able to add them? We can compile a definitive list!
Abbess
Biceps, Buss
Corps
Dues
Earnings, Elves
Faeces, Feces
Glans
Indices, Inwards
Largess, Lens, Locus
Nexus
Oodles, Ourselves
Pubes
Rapids
Selves
Testis, Thesis, Throes, Triceps

Not sure if all qualify exactly for what we are talking about, but they all end in S.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 01:58:19 PM »
Here are some to add to the list that I believe are all common. Would you be able to add them? We can compile a definitive list!

Not sure if all qualify exactly for what we are talking about, but they all end in S.

Hi Jacki,

What I undertook was a basic Data Manipulation exercise to produce a list from words that Alan and others had determined were relevant.  I had no thought to what else should be added to that list.

I don’t have a complete understanding of what should be in a Definitive List and therefore what should qualify and, even I did, I don’t have the expertise.  I am happy to leave those decisions to Alan on the suggestions of other expert forumites.

I think it would be an idea to refine (define?) exactly what we are talking about and get more advice before progressing further.

On the list you proposed I would make these comments:

I do understand that what we are talking about  is not a complete of all words accepted by chi that end in ‘s’.  If it was and one had access to the complete list of words acceptable to Chi (I don’t), it would be a simple data processing exercise to produce a definitive list.  I suspect the production of such a list might be criticised by many forumites.

I think I understand that it would not include words ending in ‘s’ where the removal of the ‘s’ would result in a word that is not acceptable to Chi (an exception is made for 4 letter words).  Therefore Oodles would not be an acceptable addition.

In his 2010 post Alan said “ This list excludes words ending in SS, like assess. .  This would exclude Abbess and Largess.

If you want the list massaged further in way let me know and I will send it to you in a private message.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 02:01:03 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2019, 09:41:59 PM »
Fair enough

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2019, 05:49:18 AM »
I'm pretty sure I used "corps" in a recent game, and it was accepted. I'm pretty sure that some of the others are already accepted too. I believe the criteria for exclusion is not that the word ends in "s" but that it's already a word before adding the "s" - but even that "rule" is modified when the "s"-ending refers to a completely different concept.  Most famously, for instance when what the dog does when it's hot is absolutely not the same as what people wear on their nether regions.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2019, 09:58:20 PM »
I believe the criteria for exclusion is not that the word ends in "s" but that it's already a word before adding the "s" - but even that "rule" is modified when the "s"-ending refers to a completely different concept. 

Occasionally, but not always. My 'favourite' non-allowed words are divers and taps. I'm sure others have their own 'favourites'.