Author Topic: word suggestion: flyout  (Read 1707 times)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
word suggestion: flyout
« on: December 30, 2013, 08:50:55 AM »
I especially think of flyout menu, a common web page design. One can get over two hundred thousand hits on Google with this phrase and millions with just flyout.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
Re: word suggestion: flyout
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 05:13:49 AM »
Never heard that one, but since I'm not in web page design, and in fact am barely computer literate (some might think that I'm over-rating myself at that), it's not surprising.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 03:08:18 PM »
Continuing my drive to clear up some of the ancient backlog of word suggestions...

I could find flyout in only one dictionary: Wiktionary. Wiktionary gives two meanings:

1. (baseball) Alternative form of fly out
2. (computing, graphical user interface) A popup menu that branches off some other visual element.

In the News on the Web corpus the baseball usage seems to dominate. E.g. the Cincinnati Enquirer last month: "Kansas City avoided more damage when Starling threw out Lindor trying to score on a flyout."

In the computer context I doubt the word is known by many users of computers but, as TRex said, the word is used quite frequently by software developers. However we've all seen flyout menus. In the screen grab below, from the Windows File Explorer, the list of options at the right, beginning with Firefox, is a flyout menu.

Despite its only being in Wiktionary, the word is used often enough to warrant acceptance as a rare word.

Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 11:50:54 AM »
Thanks, Alan. In all my years of following baseball, I don't remember ever seeing fly out as a single word. And flied out is far more common.