Author Topic: Word suggestion: titred  (Read 597 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Word suggestion: titred
« on: August 14, 2019, 12:11:55 PM »
Any chemistry nerd (especially of the older variety such as me) will be aware of those tubes used for measuring off specific quantities solutions.
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Word suggestion: titred
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 12:36:58 PM »
I doubt if my one year of chemistry at uni qualifies me as a chemistry nerd - certainly I can't remember if I ever titred anything. In fact I had to look it up to find its meaning.

Titration, it seems, is a procedure for measuring the concentration of some substance in a solution by gradually adding some other substance until it produces an observable result. Feel free to correct me if I've got that wrong, ridethetalk. The concentration so determined is called the titre.

Most dictionaries don't list titred, or give titre as a verb. The commonly used verb for this process is titrate. However, Wiktionary does have titre as a verb. And Merriam-Webster lists the US version, titered as an adjective derived from the noun titer. Titered is currently not accepted in Chi either.

In practice titred appears often in phrases like high titred and low titred. The same applies to the American spelling.

I'll add titred and titered as rare words.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites