Author Topic: Mr Brexit - Nigel Farage  (Read 2033 times)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Mr Brexit - Nigel Farage
« on: August 12, 2019, 09:52:19 PM »
Nigel Farage.
The man who has done more than most to bring the UK to its knees.
I do have names for him other than 'Mr Brexit', but this is a family game.......

Seems he's been making a bit of a name for himself down under, addressing the Oz Far-Right

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/12/nigel-farage-prince-harry-meghan-markle-overweight-queen-mother-cpac-brexit

I don't suppose there's any chance that you would keep him in Oz, is there?

He's very fond of milkshakes, by the way

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: Mr Brexit - Nigel Farage
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 10:06:54 PM »
He is a Richard Cranium of the highest order.  No, we don’t want to keep him.  We already have enough like him to stuff up the country.
Regards, Jack

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 12:54:15 AM »
He's a truly repulsive excuse for a human being. Did you see the disgraceful way he and his hideous cronies turned their backs when the EU anthem was being played in the EU parliament? Or the vile Ann Widdecombe's maiden speech where she said we Brits were "Oppressed people turning on the oppressors – slaves against their owners" while Farage sat sniggering next to her?

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 08:36:26 AM »
I don't suppose there's any chance that you would keep him in Oz, is there?

He's very fond of milkshakes, by the way

NZ have better milkshakes than Oz, but they probably wouldn't have let him in in the first place.

Tom

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 08:50:18 AM »
Repulsive? He's a man with ideas that are different from yours and many, many people agree with him. Are they all, also, repulsive? Like Hillary's Deplorables? I don't have a strong view about Nigel Farage. He's Conservative and to many, it seems, that makes him Far Right. Perhaps he's simply Conservative with conservative views like half the population. I suspect more than half - but a half plus that is easily intimidated and silenced by too much Far (and not-so-far) Left static. Just saying!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 03:45:30 PM »
Regards, Jack

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 06:51:32 PM »
Repulsive? He's a man with ideas that are different from yours and many, many people agree with him. Are they all, also, repulsive? Like Hillary's Deplorables? I don't have a strong view about Nigel Farage. He's Conservative and to many, it seems, that makes him Far Right. Perhaps he's simply Conservative with conservative views like half the population. I suspect more than half - but a half plus that is easily intimidated and silenced by too much Far (and not-so-far) Left static. Just saying!

I don't believe that all Conservatives are far right but I think Farage is. Their extreme views on how the world should be run are, to me, repulsive, as indeed are those on the far left (although there seem to be far fewer of those and they appear far less dangerous). We've seen what fomenting hatred is doing in America and I don't want the same thing to happen here. Sadly we appear to be heading in that direction.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 07:18:18 PM »
I certainly do not apply the epithet 'repulsive' to anyone with whose ideas I disagree, but I do draw a line at racism.

Farage is someone who likes to play the racist card whenever possible, especially while addressing those of a similar outlook to himself.
To quote one line from the report of his speech,

"....whether Prince Harry has two kids is irrelevant given there are now 2.6 billion Chinese and Indians on this Earth.”

Maybe I am over-reacting, but that remark, to me, smacks of racism.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 07:30:52 PM »
I've just read a report of that speech myself (your quote was only a single example of how awful it was, Mike), and having done so I feel not the slightest  urge to retract my statement that I find Nigel Farage repulsive. People like him may well only address audiences who share similar views  but it empowers them and hardens their views ("Send them back,  send them back." Would people have started chanting that if not encouraged to do so by Trump?)

I actually blame the media for a lot of what's wrong in the world today, not because they caused it but because they give people like Farage too much publicity.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 10:49:25 PM by pat »

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 10:38:33 PM »
I'm 100% with you on that Pat...  :P :-\ :'(

The media is certainly an issue, however they may simply be echoing the values of their owners.  :-\
I find the dog-whistling especially repugnant.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 10:47:30 PM by ridethetalk »
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 11:44:36 PM »
I'm not enamoured of any of the current crop of politicians.  At the other end of the spectrum there are the left wing Marxists that are Corbyn & McDonnell. 
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 05:49:41 AM »
I think it should be possible to find a person's opinions repulsive without demonising the person (e.g. labelling the person 'repulsive'). The trend in the US of A has, unfortunately, been towards demonising others, refusing to truly listen to those with whom we disagree and living in a news/social 'bubble' where we only hear views with which we already agree — which reinforces thinking our views are 'right' (and other views are 'wrong') and 'normal' (and other views 'out of touch').

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2019, 10:29:41 AM »
I think we can separate the man and his work in art, but I don't think it is possible in politics,
We can admire the paintings of, say, Caravaggio, without worrying too much about the personal life and the sexual proclivities of the artist who produced them.

In politics, it is far more difficult to separate the man from the ideas.

To take an extreme example, we could say that the evidence points to  Adolf Hitler being genuinely fond of children, loving his dogs and being loved by Fraulein Eva Braun, so perhaps he wasn't such a bad chap after all!

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2019, 01:31:40 PM »

Item number one. Farage was prepared, during the Brexit campaign, to issue a poster demonising "migrants", that was a direct echo of a poster by Goebbels demonising Jews. His rhetoric has also been a litany of ad hominems directed at those who treat his views with suspicion, such as referring to those opposing Brexit as "traitors". The irony involved here is, of course, on an epic scale, given the numerous properly conducted instances of research that point to the irreparable harm Brexit will inflict upon the country, which would make him the real traitor in the proper sense of the word - someone prepared to see the destruction of his country for personal gain.

Item number two. Farage has ruthlessly milked the EU for personal gain, whilst spreading venomous and frequently false rhetoric about the EU. He happily trousers £77,000 per year as an MEP, claims expenses from the EU in addition to his MEP's salary, yet has the worst attendance record in the entire EU.

Item number three. I remember Farage standing up, on one of the very few occasions he attended a sitting of the European parliament, to launch into a frankly nauseating tirade, claiming that none of the MEPs around him had ever held a proper job (despite his career being primarily that of a dodgy stockbroker dealing in arcane financial "instrument" of dubious provenance). Sitting behind him as he delivered this tirade, was a Lithuanian MEP who survived being a Russian Gulag prisoner as a child, and went on to become one of Lithuania's top heart surgeons before becoming an MEP. But of course, facts have never stood in the way of this odious little creep's demagoguery.

Item number four. Despite 85% of the UK public being opposed to fox hunting, Farage fraternises with assorted toffs in the now-illegal hunting fraternity, and would almost certainly repeal the 2004 Hunting Act if he had his way, in direct opposition to the will of the people that he so frequently and unctuously evokes in support of his Brexit obsession. He also engages in rampant hypocrisy with respect to the poll numbers, having stated publicly that a 52% vote in favour of Remain would constitute "unfinished business", whilst claiming in the next nicotine laden breath, that a 52% vote in favour of Leave constitutes a mandate written in stone that should be forever unchanged.

Item number five. Farage was one of those who proudly stood in front of that mendacious "£350 million per week" slogan painted on the side of a bus, but the moment the ramifications of Brexit started to be discussed, including less money for the NHS, Farage started talking about the need to privatise healthcare in this country.

And moving on, with respect to the assertion that Corbyn is a "Marxist", those lapping up the drivel spread on this matter by the Daily Heil, would do well to read this article, written by a Norwegian political scientist. Sample quotes therefrom include:

As a Scandinavian who has spent more than a decade living in Britain, nothing has made me feel more foreign than observing the current Labour leadership election. From his style to his policies Mr Corbyn would, in Norway, be an unremarkably mainstream, run-of-the-mill social-democrat. His policy-platform places him squarely in the Norwegian Labour Party from which the last leader is such a widely respected establishment figure that upon resignation he became the current Secretary-General of NATO.

Yet, here in the United Kingdom a politician who makes similar policy-proposals, indeed those that form the very bedrock of the Nordic-model, is brandished as an extremist of the hard-left and a danger to society.

So who is right? Is the Norwegian Labour movement some dangerous extremist group that unknowingly has occupied the furthest leftist fringe of the political spectrum? If so, a casual glance at the UN’s Human Development Index would suggest that Norway certainly has not suffered as a result of successive Labour-dominated governments. Or is it, perhaps, that the British media’s portrayal of Corbyn, and by extent his policies are somewhat exaggerated and verging on the realm of character assassination rather than objective analysis and journalism?

The socio-economic structural changes Britain has undergone since the financial crisis has severely discredited the neo-liberal orthodoxy in both academia and amid the general public, as the trend of widening income and wealth inequality has left far more economic losers than beneficiaries in its wake. I would suggest that tapping into this growing demographic among an increasingly polarised electorate makes Mr Corbyn’s distinctiveness as a social-democratic candidate an asset rather than a liability.

Another moniker Mr Corbyn’s detractors often apply to his policies are that they derive from some so-called extreme of the political spectrum, that they are ‘hard left’ and ergo hopelessly idealistic and unworkable. To a Norwegian observer such as myself I find this characterisation puzzling. Mr Corbyn’s policy-platform, particularly in regard to his domestic policies are largely identical with the Norwegian Labour Party manifesto. Railway nationalisation, partial or full state ownership of key companies or sectors, universal healthcare provisions, state-funded house-building, no tuition fee education, education grants and loans to name but a few, enjoy near universal support among the Norwegian electorate, in fact, they are so mainstream that not even the most right-wing of Norwegian political parties would challenge them.

Since 51% of leading British journalists are among the privately educated 7% it is not surprising that they have internalised an ideology that serves their own privileged class interest, consciously or not, rather than that of the wider population. This raises the question of whether British politicians should solely be reacting to the agenda of the conservative-oriented press, or that they themselves should set out visions for how society should be organised to better serve the interests of the electorate.

Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2019, 06:32:21 PM »
Thank you, Calilasseia. You've confirmed my statement that Farage is a truly repulsive excuse for a human being.