Author Topic: lambent is common??  (Read 2092 times)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
lambent is common??
« on: July 16, 2019, 06:36:40 AM »
By far the least played 'common' word. The next least played common word (batsmen) was played by more than 45% more players. Surely a candidate for demotion?

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Re: lambent is common??
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 07:14:16 AM »
I suspect its low count was due to people not spotting it rather than not knowing it.

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 08:54:08 AM »
You might be right, Pat. It was the final word that flickered in my brain.
I'll sleep in my next life

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 10:46:34 AM »

the  word that flickered in my brain!!
Nice one, Valerie.

Actually I'm with TRex on this one.
I think if you asked ten random passers-by what lambent meant, very few would be able to tell you.

I played this game during the final few overs of the England vs New Zealand final, so I'm afraid my mind was more focused on cricket than anything else, yet one of the last words I saw was batsmen!!

Sorry, all kiwis. We were incredibly lucky; you didn't deserve to lose.

Tom

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 11:25:02 AM »
mkenuk you said that the Kiwis were incredibly unlucky to lose. Kane Williamson (Kiwi skipper and Man of the Tournament), so gracious in defeat and so humble in receiving his award said so rightly, “At the end of the day nothing separated us, no one lost the final, but there was a crowned winner and there it is.” I'm English born, naturalised Australian and I found myself barracking for the Kiwis and I think they did their tiny (in the scheme of things) nation proud. Personally, I think they should have played another 2-3 overs to determine a winner but the rules are the rules, whether worthy or not. One thing's for certain in my mind, cricket is the greatest sport in the world and is played by more people than other sport, with the possible exception of football (soccer). "Batsman/batsmen" should never be a rare word. My opinion, for whatever it is worth.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 01:11:54 PM »
Firstly I heard that fishing was the sport with the most participants, however true that may be. Secondly I think New Zealand was inspiring and lastly I think lambent is more common than slangy, palmy and banns.
Hee hee.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 04:29:32 PM »
I think lambent was the last word I found, but I missed several much more everyday words like (I'm sorry) batsmen - despite having got batmen.

It's not a word I've ever used (unlike banns and palmy, which are much more usual words for me) but I wasn't surprised it was common, given the rules as I understand them.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 05:23:47 PM »
Hi Anona - just out of interest when do you use palmy?
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 05:44:01 PM »
"Palmy days" - well-known expression to someone my age!

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 05:59:36 PM »
Firstly I heard that fishing was the sport with the most participants.

Fishing is not a sport. Sport is an activity where individuals or teams compete against each other. Both sides agree to compete and both sides play by the same set of rules. I’ve never yet heard of a fish that agreed to be yanked out of the water by a hook embedded in its innards. Fishing is barbaric. It may be popular but it’s definitely not a sport.

Tom

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 06:01:13 PM »
In response to Jacki's comment about fishing being most participated. I guess I've never thought as fishing as a sport in the sense of other activities and certainly not a team sport. However, I do take your point about the most participants. Just as well eating is not a sport - it would win hands down!!!

Tom

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 06:08:20 PM »
So, Pat, fishing is barbaric. Something we've been doing since almost the beginning of time. People the world over fish to survive, the animal world fishes to survive. Even fish fish. I'm not sure I'd use barbaric but suffice to say I'm happy not to be a mackeral or a trout!!!

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2019, 06:40:41 PM »
I'm with you Pat. 
I'll sleep in my next life

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2019, 09:44:44 PM »
And me.

There have been two horrifying images in the newspapers over the last few days - one of a Japanese whaling ship hauling a dead whale on board, and the other of a couple kissing next to the carcase of a magnificent lion that they had just shot.
How could anyone describe this as 'sport'?

Sometimes I despair.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 10:57:58 PM by mkenuk »

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2019, 11:42:41 PM »
I quite recently had a difference of opinion with TRex about human life. I can’t remember the exact details but he said that all human life was to be valued. In the case of people who can joyfully kill beautiful wild animals for pleasure, if I had the ability to make the gun backfire and obliterate the person holding it I’d have no hesitation whatsoever.