Author Topic: word suggestion: bitcoin  (Read 1007 times)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
word suggestion: bitcoin
« on: June 30, 2019, 03:22:53 AM »
I imagine the word came into use after the original word list was created, but I see it almost every day. The OED added it in 2014.

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Re: word suggestion: bitcoin
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 07:30:36 AM »
I agree - I do too.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 09:40:44 AM »
Certainly.
A possible contender for 'common' status?
Perhaps it can swap places with incubi which managed 12 hits in the recent incubation game.

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 08:03:41 PM »
I tried it and when it wasn't accepted thought it must have been a proper term as I have seen it with an uppercase B, and it is one of the digital currencies. I didn't look any further.

I think it should probably be common for a few more years.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 02:09:24 PM »
Undoubtedly the word should be accepted. If it were always written with a lower case b, I would tend to agree that it should be classed as common, though I would still have a nagging doubt about how long it will remain in common use (the word, I mean - I don't think the currency has ever been in common use, and perhaps never will).

But my impression from looking in the News on the Web corpus is that it is written Bitcoin at least as often as bitcoin. The OED draft entry from 2014, that TRex noted, lists it as Bitcoin. (Some early citations write it as BitCoin, but that variant seems to have fallen by the wayside.) The online Oxford gives it a lower case b. Merriam-Webster allows both versions. It is apparently a proprietary term.

From what I can see the variant we can accept, with no upper case letter, is not used in the majority of cases, so I will add it as a rare word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 05:26:00 AM »
Thanks, Alan. (I don't think I've seen it capitalised in years.)

Undoubtedly the word should be accepted. If it were always written with a lower case b, I would tend to agree that it should be classed as common, though I would still have a nagging doubt about how long it will remain in common use (the word, I mean - I don't think the currency has ever been in common use, and perhaps never will).

The only sphere where it is in common use (AFAIK) is by ransomware purveyors. As to its future, if only I had a crystal ball ....  ;D

But my impression from looking in the News on the Web corpus is that it is written Bitcoin at least as often as bitcoin. The OED draft entry from 2014, that TRex noted, lists it as Bitcoin. (Some early citations write it as BitCoin, but that variant seems to have fallen by the wayside.) The online Oxford gives it a lower case b. Merriam-Webster allows both versions. It is apparently a proprietary term.

Originally, the word was used for the original bitcoin, but seems to have become a synonym for cryptocurrencies (certainly less of a mouthful!). According to this Wikipedia article, there were more than 1600 different cryptocurrencies as of last August. I will go out on a limb  :D and predict most will fail. But I suspect one or more will last for at least a few decades, if not longer.