Author Topic: Hi everyone  (Read 2905 times)

giratinaman

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Hi everyone
« on: June 29, 2019, 01:23:42 AM »
Hello all. This is my first time using the forum so I’m still getting used to the rules and format, so please excuse me if I make a mistake. I am a huge fan of the Chihuahua website and am an avid lover of words and language. I am so glad that a website like this exists, so thank you all.

I have been playing the game for a few months now, and I was overjoyed when the website added the.7 by many option, which is my favorite. I have a few questions for those who know a little more than I do if that’s alright.

First of all, is there a way for me to suggest words that I think should be common and to give feedback on on common words that I think are uncommon? If there is an obvious thread about this I would appreciate it if someone could link me there. Thanks.

Second, I noticed that the regular puzzles allow plurals of words that have irregular plurals or more than just the typical “s” ending, which I like a lot. I also noticed that there aren’t even any “s”’s in the 7 by many puzzles unless I enable all words ending with s including plurals. Is there a way for me to play 7 by many puzzles with the letter s but only when it is used like in the regular puzzles? If not, is that a feature that is in progress or one that I could request?

Thank you to this community and I always look forward to some excellent words!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 01:30:25 AM by giratinaman »

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Re: Hi everyone
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 01:51:13 AM »
Hi giratinaman, and welcome to the forum.

Regarding your first question, any queries about words can be raised in the "Words" category, whether they be a request for a new word to be considered for inclusion or a suggestion for a word to be changed from rare to common or vice versa. Simply start a new thread. In order not to spoil the game for other players it's best to leave your query until after the game is closed. However, if it's absolutely essential that you raise it while the game is still open the requirement  is that you don't mention the actual word in the subject heading and that you state that the post is a spoiler.

I'll leave someone else to answer the second point.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 02:29:04 AM »
Second, I noticed that the regular puzzles allow plurals of words that have irregular plurals or more than just the typical “s” ending, which I like a lot. I also noticed that there aren’t even any “s”’s in the 7 by many puzzles unless I enable all words ending with s including plurals. Is there a way for me to play 7 by many puzzles with the letter s but only when it is used like in the regular puzzles? If not, is that a feature that is in progress or one that I could request?

Hi, Giratinaman, and welcome! I love your name, since I am an avid player of Pokémon Go. Never got into the card game version or earlier electronic versions of Pokémon. I suspect that Sir Bidoof is also a fellow Pokémon player.

To address your second question, there are two parts. First, although there haven't been any esses appearing in the 7 by many game so far, I am certain they will appear eventually in the natural rotation of the seed words. Second, it seems to me it would be fairly straightforward for Alan to add the 7 by many option to the create your own puzzle.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 02:35:52 AM by rogue_mother »
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 09:21:13 AM »
Welcome Giratinaman, yes it is great to be among like-minded word enthusiasts. I really enjoy winding down with Chihuahua and the discussion we have about words.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 02:30:51 PM »
Hello, giratinaman. Welcome aboard!

Concerning the treatment of the letter S in the 7-by-many puzzles, here is a fun fact which, as far as I can recall, has never been discussed before: there are no Ss in 7-by-many puzzles! Yes you can choose the option in "My puzzles" to allow all plurals, but it won't actually make any difference, because there is never a puzzle with an S.

I think I set it up that way because there were plenty of possible puzzles without the S, and I have the impression that the handling of plurals in the other puzzle types causes a lot of confusion and frustration. You might be the first player to express enthusiasm for the intricacies of handling plurals.

So now that the issue is out in the open, what do others think? Should we allow the S into 7-by-many puzzles in the future?
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 04:02:59 PM »
I can't see why the "S" would need to be excluded so I would vote yessssss...

...and, hi Giratinaman, welcome aboard!  :D
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 02:29:56 AM »
Welcome Giratinaman.
Sadly my education has a bit of a gap - I had to look you up on Google!  Never played Pokémon Go though I work with a few people who do.
I'm on the fence with "S".  Wouldn't it inevitably push the word count up?  I prefer a smaller word count as I find it easier see what I've played.  I struggle a bit with the 7-by-many but still like to have a bash at it!  I know the plurals can be a bit frustrating sometimes but isn't it all part & parcel of this wonderful unique game?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 02:44:02 AM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

giratinaman

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 10:17:45 AM »
Welcome Giratinaman.
Sadly my education has a bit of a gap - I had to look you up on Google!  Never played Pokémon Go though I work with a few people who do.
I'm on the fence with "S".  Wouldn't it inevitably push the word count up?  I prefer a smaller word count as I find it easier see what I've played.  I struggle a bit with the 7-by-many but still like to have a bash at it!  I know the plurals can be a bit frustrating sometimes but isn't it all part & parcel of this wonderful unique game?

I totally hear you on the word count, so I’m not advocating for adding ess to the daily puzzle. But on personally made puzzles you can customize how many words you want as a maximum. So I was thinking that naturally you would probably have to start a 60+ words game for it to show up or at least have a puzzle containing other uncommon letters or few vowels with it. I’m not even a huge fan of plurals which consist of the stem of the word with only ess added on the end. But I have personally begun to notice that certain letters or combinations thereof that make common compounds or affixes like TION CIAN ED ER RE ABLE can dominate larger puzzle games due to the necessity to have such a combination to create enough words for a bigger puzzle. It is precisely because so many words in the English language, like those ending in “OUS,” “EST,” or containing “SH,” “ST,” “SP” etc that I would enjoy its addition, even if it were just optional for privately made games.

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 12:34:30 PM »
Allowing the daily puzzle to include the letter S wouldn't necessarily push the word count up, since the rules for creating the puzzle ensure there will be no more than 65 common words in a daily 7-by-many puzzle. Also, I wasn't suggesting that all words ending in S would be permitted. I envisaged that the rules about which plurals are accepted would be the same as in the other types of puzzle. Currently those rules are irrelevant to the 7-by-many, since those puzzles never have an S.

Admitting the S to daily 7-by-many puzzles would roughly double the number of possible puzzles, with new seed words ranging from ABASEMENT to ZOOLOGIST
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites