General Category > Say Hello

Hi everyone

<< < (2/2)

ridethetalk:
I can't see why the "S" would need to be excluded so I would vote yessssss...

...and, hi Giratinaman, welcome aboard!  :D

Hobbit:
Welcome Giratinaman.
Sadly my education has a bit of a gap - I had to look you up on Google!  Never played Pokémon Go though I work with a few people who do.
I'm on the fence with "S".  Wouldn't it inevitably push the word count up?  I prefer a smaller word count as I find it easier see what I've played.  I struggle a bit with the 7-by-many but still like to have a bash at it!  I know the plurals can be a bit frustrating sometimes but isn't it all part & parcel of this wonderful unique game?

giratinaman:

--- Quote from: Hobbit on June 30, 2019, 02:29:56 AM ---Welcome Giratinaman.
Sadly my education has a bit of a gap - I had to look you up on Google!  Never played Pokémon Go though I work with a few people who do.
I'm on the fence with "S".  Wouldn't it inevitably push the word count up?  I prefer a smaller word count as I find it easier see what I've played.  I struggle a bit with the 7-by-many but still like to have a bash at it!  I know the plurals can be a bit frustrating sometimes but isn't it all part & parcel of this wonderful unique game?

--- End quote ---

I totally hear you on the word count, so I’m not advocating for adding ess to the daily puzzle. But on personally made puzzles you can customize how many words you want as a maximum. So I was thinking that naturally you would probably have to start a 60+ words game for it to show up or at least have a puzzle containing other uncommon letters or few vowels with it. I’m not even a huge fan of plurals which consist of the stem of the word with only ess added on the end. But I have personally begun to notice that certain letters or combinations thereof that make common compounds or affixes like TION CIAN ED ER RE ABLE can dominate larger puzzle games due to the necessity to have such a combination to create enough words for a bigger puzzle. It is precisely because so many words in the English language, like those ending in “OUS,” “EST,” or containing “SH,” “ST,” “SP” etc that I would enjoy its addition, even if it were just optional for privately made games.

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Alan W:
Allowing the daily puzzle to include the letter S wouldn't necessarily push the word count up, since the rules for creating the puzzle ensure there will be no more than 65 common words in a daily 7-by-many puzzle. Also, I wasn't suggesting that all words ending in S would be permitted. I envisaged that the rules about which plurals are accepted would be the same as in the other types of puzzle. Currently those rules are irrelevant to the 7-by-many, since those puzzles never have an S.

Admitting the S to daily 7-by-many puzzles would roughly double the number of possible puzzles, with new seed words ranging from ABASEMENT to ZOOLOGIST

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version