Author Topic: SINGULARLY ten letter challenge game  (Read 1215 times)

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
SINGULARLY ten letter challenge game
« on: June 19, 2019, 07:39:57 AM »
I missed signally, slangy and unary.
Recalling T-Rex's words perhaps not exactly, but the gist being that "...a common word is one which when you see the solution you kick yourself for missing the word(s)."
I can assure you that I've never heard signally or slangy used before, let alone regularly.
Probably should have got unary.
A tough game where there were only three rosettes.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

mjpanic

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Re: SINGULARLY ten letter challenge game
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 10:27:03 AM »
Cant profess to being an expert at this, I've certainly heard "signally" being used....but not regularly. I guess it relates to one's environment? "Slangy" I haven't heard, and as for "unary"....Jacki suggests that she probably should have got it! How does it qualify as common?

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 09:20:49 PM »
re unary.
Chi seems a bit inconsistent when it comes to mathematical terms.
At the same time that unary (common) appeared in the singularly 10-letter game, vectored was ranked 'uncommon' in the converted standard game.
Another frequent visitor to Chi games, surd, one of the first terms I learned when (briefly) studying calculus is also classed as 'rare'.
I'm not a mathematician, but in my opinion  unary is possibly the rarest of the three words I've mentioned.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 10:25:51 AM »
I missed signally, slangy and unary.
I can assure you that I've never heard signally or slangy used before,

"Slangy" I haven't heard,

Well, you didn't have too long to wait to come across slangy again - in the following day's dashingly game!!
Hope you both played it this time!!

Welcome to the forum from me, by the way, mjpanic.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 10:35:23 AM by mkenuk »

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 10:14:04 PM »
Yes welcome mjpanic. Good question about unary - sometimes there are words you just subconsciously know and they come to you in Chi and I think unary is one of them although I can't recall ever playing it before. But slangy and signally sound stupid to me and I would have said they're not words! Like a while ago I found the word "painterly" to be in the same category however many other forumites said they were quite familiar with painterly.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 11:35:30 AM »
A totally new word for me: unary.  I would have assumed it was a typo for unwary.

I have heard signally and slangy, though I wouldn't call them everyday words.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 04:13:48 PM »
Signally seems to have a stuffy, old-fashioned flavour, though it is still part of the current language. Meaning strikingly or notably, a recent example was in the UK magazine Prospect last month:

Only Rory Stewart has sought to lay out the hard truths: that the EU is dead set against renegotiating the withdrawal agreement; that there are no magical solutions to the Irish border waiting to be found; that no-deal would be an economic catastrophe; and that Theresa May’s deal is the only one on offer. However, he has signally failed to explain how he would get it through a House of Commons that has thrice rejected it.

I don't think the word is used often enough to warrant it remaining as a common word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 04:25:54 PM »
I think MK is right about unary. It is less common than some mathematical words that are rightly classed as rare. (Surd was once treated as common, but I made it rare in 2009.)

Unary might be familiar to scholars of some of the more abstract branches of mathematics or formal logic. Negation of a number is a unary operation, because only one number is involved, whereas subtraction is a binary operation. In logic, NOT is a unary operation, while OR is binary.

Needless to say, it is not truly a common word, so it will be rare from now on.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites