Author Topic: Strange dictionary behaviour  (Read 5513 times)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Strange dictionary behaviour
« on: June 05, 2019, 03:45:07 AM »
Something strange seems to be happening with the dictionary. It opens OK, to the word I’ve selected, but when I close it I get sent to another puzzle for a previous day, which can be anything up to 5 days ago. It’s happening on my iPad and my Windows desktop - don’t know about the Samsung tablet because Chi is not really playable on that. The problem is random; it seems to always happen the first time I open the dictionary and then may or may not happen subsequently (usually it doesn’t). It certainly hasn’t always acted like this so something has changed.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Regards, Jack

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Re: Strange dictionary behaviour
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 07:04:14 AM »
I don’t think my problem is exactly the same, Jack. Others seem to get kicked out of the site or switched to the alternative puzzle address. I usually just get switched to a different, days old, puzzle. But sometimes it works perfectly. Most odd.

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 07:05:58 AM »
Still happening to me too. 
I'll sleep in my next life

Valerie

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 08:24:59 AM »
In fact, ALL the problems are still happening.  On both sites.  Still no "NEW" for recent posts on the FORUM although I notice the new posts are in a different colour hue. 

tpc

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 09:15:39 PM »
Pat, my wife plays on a Samsung Tab S2 with no problem.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 10:44:32 PM »
Pat, my wife plays on a Samsung Tab S2 with no problem.

I used to have one of those, and if I recall correctly I could play on it with no problem. I traded it in for the S4 where there are multiple problems:

The keyboard doesn't work at all - it comes up but typing on it does nothing Chi-useful.
Randomly, and frequently, touching any letter or button will reduce the game to postage stamp size in the top left corner. (A slight exaggeration, but it's so tiny that you can't make out any letters.)
The page display is massive compared to the size of the screen. I play in landscape mode and I'd estimate that the display would show in its entirety if the tablet was three times the width and twice the depth. Consequently I have to scroll over to the right to see my full list of words played, and swipe two or three times if I want to see the forum. And then down and across several times to see my progress bar.

All very peculiar.

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 01:06:09 AM »
I am now getting "New"notices on the Forum for the Puzzle site but not on the Lexigame site?

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 02:02:51 PM »
I'm now trying out a different way of getting the forum summary. For me, the "new" symbol showed up in chi.lexigame.com when I looked on the computer, but not on an Android tablet. Let me know how it works for you.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Valerie

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 05:17:07 PM »
Geronimo!  Well done Alan.  But (isn't there always a 'but'?) I've now noticed that, although I log into Lexigame and the puzzle page shows the Lexigame address, when I go in and look at a particular Forum post, the address at the top of the screen then shows:    
https://theforum.lexigame.com/index.php?action=post;topic=4016.0;num_replies=8.
Have I just been inattentive before (highly likely)?  Is this because the Forum is housed on the Chihuahua site (hence the ALT SITE button)?  It's not bothering me.  Just curious.  Blimey, as if you don't have enough to cope with.......
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 08:17:48 PM by Valerie »

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 09:23:39 PM »
The Chi puzzle is available on two different sites, but the forum is in only one location. It used to be at the lexigame.com site, but earlier this year I moved it to chihuahua-puzzle.com. So now if you go to the forum from either Chihuahua site you will end up at the same forum location. Even if you type the old forum address, lexigame.com/forum, into the address bar of the browser, you will be automatically redirected to chihuahua-puzzle.com/forum.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Valerie

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2019, 05:23:38 PM »
Many thanks Alan.  You are patience personified.