Author Topic: Page closing after I close 'Word meanings' window  (Read 2009 times)

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
Page closing after I close 'Word meanings' window
« on: June 01, 2019, 05:54:34 PM »
Maybe it's just a problem with my computer, but I'd like to check if anyone else is experiencing the same problem.

I'm using the https://chihuahua-puzzle.com site (because I can't see the forum at https://chi.lexigame.com/ at the moment - another problem which I think someone else has mentioned) and when I check a word's meaning by clicking on it, then close the 'Word meanings' window by clicking on the 'x', I get logged out of the site - that is, the page closes and takes me back to the Google search page.

It's only happening at chihuahua-puzzle.com - not at chi.lexigame.com. 

Is it just me?

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Page closing after I close 'Word meanings' window
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 06:42:50 PM »
Not just you, blackrockrose.  Me too.  On both game sites.  Although it doesn't log me out and take me back to Google.  It just takes me to the alternate game site.  And, yes, the forum is only visible when I hit ALT. SITE.  I think Alan is away at present.
Val
I'll sleep in my next life

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 06:47:51 PM »

I have the same problem as Blackrockrose   Just curse and get on with game

Will all be better when Alan gets back from China

What would we do without him

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 06:48:36 PM »
I'm back. But I haven't quite got my brain into gear just yet.

Does closing the word meanings invariably take you to a different site, or is it intermittent?
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 06:48:49 PM »
Hi Rose,

The Chihuahua gods are not picking on you alone.

I generally get lexigame first and then click the chihuahua-puzzle hyperlink to get the forum up. When I go through the meanings sequence you described I get thrown back to the Lexigame site.   If I copy the URL and get out the chihuahua sites and then paste the URL in it has chihuahua-puzzle.com with a tail of characters. If I go through the sequence it throw me back to the site I came from.  If I delete the tail and then go through the sequence it works fine.

The reason I go through lexigame first is that if I go straight to chihuahua-puzzle I have to log in again.

I don’t know if that makes sense but it least it shows there is a problem.

P.S.  Welcome back Alan. I hope you had a great time.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 06:51:37 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 06:52:14 PM »
Welcome back Alan - I hope you had a great holiday.

Thank you everyone for your replies - it's reassuring to know that other people are having similar problems, if not exactly the same as mine.

The closing of the page happens every time - not just intermittently. I don't get taken to the alternative site.

No rush to solve this one, Alan. Everything still works, and I know we're all grateful that you provide such a fine site for free.

Valerie

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 07:08:06 PM »
Welcome back Alan.  Hope you had a fabulous time.  Sit back and recharge your batteries.  No need to hurry.  We are all coping (I think).  The problem is not intermittent for me.  Happens all the time.  On both sites.  As with Jack, I've also noticed that I have to log in each time which I didn't have to do before.  Again, both sites.  But I'm now into the groove of what to do when things don't behave.  Short of kicking in the screen.
Val

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 01:09:22 AM »
Doesn't matter which site I'm on the forum doesn't come up at the side. I'm pressing on the link at the bottom of the page. I like seeing the forum - it's a great community of like-minded word enthusiasts and it's always interesting to see at a glance what's making news.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 02:51:44 PM »
When I close the Word Meanings panel I don't have any of those things happen. Is everyone else having problems?

And those people who are seeing unexpected events, what device and browser are you using?
Alan Walker

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 03:43:18 PM »
I'm using a Macbook Pro and Google Chrome.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2019, 04:18:51 PM »
Hi Alan

I am now using windows 10 and Firefox

Code: [Select]

using https://www.chi.lexigame.com/ it works perfectly.

when I go to the alternate site using the hyperlink

the address shows as https://www.chihuahua-puzzle.com/#a=730844856&b=d738274429a7e0c8f6871c717d90ec20&c=yes

when I do the meaning task and get out of it the address reverts to https://chi.lexigame.com/

If I go to the alternate site and delete the tail to have https://www.chihuahua-puzzle.com/   it works perfectly.

It is of no consequence reverting to https://www.chihuahua-puzzle.com/ now that the forum
link has been fixed.

I have got the same results using windows 10 and Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome

On the iPad with Safari I get the same result but it doesn’t show the tail but when
I type in https://www.chihuahua-puzzle.com/ it works perfectly

I hope this helps.  Let me know if you would like me to try anything else.  I have chrome and Firefox for the iPad but have assumed they would give the same results.

A layman’s guess (a dangerous thing to rely on) is that the tail #a=730844856&b=d738274429a7e0c8f6871c717d90ec20&c=yes is the thing causing the problem

« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 05:00:13 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Valerie

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2019, 04:25:08 PM »
Hello Alan.  I'm using a PC with Windows 10 and Chrome search engine.  The forum is back up and running for me on both sites.  Thank you.  Also, the word meanings panel on the Chihuahua site now works fine for me too.  But not on the Lexigame site where it is still flicking back to Chihuahua when I close it.  Hope this helps.
Val

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2019, 04:58:12 PM »
I too now get flicked to the other site, rather than losing it altogether.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 12:23:56 PM »
I think this would have been happening since 2014 when the pop-up definition window was introduced. Probably people only started noticing it recently when they were switching between the two sites to try to get the forum summary to show.

Anyway it's fixed now, but you will definitely have to reload the Chi page, at both sites. Some mobile devices seem slow to reload scripts, even when the page is refreshed, so on such devices the problem may hang around for a while.

In case you're interested, the problem arose from my reuse of a script I'd written for the Letterbox game. In that game if you're playing on a small screen such as a phone, information is presented as a new page, identified by a # extension of the address, rather than a pop-up panel, so dismissing the information acts like the browser's Back button.
Alan Walker

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2019, 01:32:22 PM »
Sorry Alan, but I'm back to being logged out :(