Author Topic: Kids and smartphones  (Read 701 times)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Kids and smartphones
« on: May 10, 2019, 10:58:46 PM »
A topic for discussion among some friends today concerned kids and smartphones.
I don't think Thailand, where I live, is any better or worse than other countries in this respect, but I must admit that I find the sight of very young children (and I mean kids as young as two or three years old) playing with smartphones very common and very worrying. Parents who want to keep their kids quiet in restaurants, on buses and trains or in supermarkets simply stick a smartphone in their hands and let them get on with it.

A story in the Guardian recently was about Madonna, who has refused to allow her youngest child (aged 13) to have a smartphone. The reason, she openly admitted, was that she had allowed her older children to have smartphones and had found that owning them had created ever-widening distances between herself and her children.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/may/06/madonna-children-phones-relationship-usage-screen-addictions-families

A simple question for all Chi forumites then.
At what age should a child be allowed to have a smartphone?

« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 11:03:58 PM by mkenuk »

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
Re: Kids and smartphones
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 05:13:45 AM »
Fortunately, we weren't faced with that choice until our sixth child was in secondary school. We allowed her to have a smartphone but required it to be charged downstairs each night. My grandchildren are too young for it to be an issue today and it won't be my decision to make when it is. If I were to face the choice today, I'd probably permit a smartphone — with a lot of restrictions — around the age of 13 with restrictions being gradually eased until 17 or 18.
(Disclaimer: I'm a techie and encourage the use of technology.)

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 05:49:54 PM »
Our daughter has just earned her smartphone at the age of 15 and three quarters. Our son had his at about fourteen.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 07:13:48 PM »
I sometimes think that there should be written into the Charter of the United Nations a clause to the effect that 'Children have the right to a childhood'. They should be free to have as much innocent, harmless fun as they can before puberty sets in and they are overwhelmed by the problems of adolescence.

Everybody is aware of the problems facing child workers in Asia and child soldiers in Africa, but I often feel that the fashion industry, the entertainment industry and, nowadays, the social media industry are conspiring to exploit children in the West by forcing them to grow up too soon.

One example.
A few years ago I was visiting some friends when their six-year old daughter came home from school with an invitation to her friend's birthday party. There was a discussion about what she would wear to this kids' party. I have to admit to being rather taken aback when I heard this angelic little girl tell her mother: 'I want to wear something real sexy, like Lady Gaga on MTV.'

Maybe I'm just getting old!