Author Topic: 7 by many - 27 May 2019  (Read 684 times)

guyd

• Logologist
    • View Profile
7 by many - 27 May 2019
« on: May 28, 2019, 12:17:29 PM »
GURGLER not recognised as a word? Yes it is an ANZAc colloquialism, but recognised as word in the OED etc.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
Re: 7 by many - 27 May 2019
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 01:02:41 AM »
I didn't know the ANZAC meaning, but I'd think it was a word.  If little children are described as gurgling, I'd think they were gurglers.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 7 by many - 27 May 2019
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 03:35:46 PM »
I'm goaded into answering this because the word has - almost - come up in the news.

The Guardian today reported on a speech by former Australian prime minister Kevin Rudd. Speaking of the relationship between China and Australia, and a 2017 speech by one of his successors as Australian PM, Malcolm Turnbull, he said:

You want to pick the day when the relationship went, in my judgment unnecessarily, down the gurgle [sic], it was that day, so just be judicious about when you embark upon public language.

The "sic" was inserted by the Guardian, alluding to the fact that the usual expression is down the gurgler, that is, down the drain.

(This isn't the first time Rudd has struggled with Australian idioms. When he was prime minister he used the phrase "fair shake of the sauce bottle" - three times in the one interview. Many people pointed out that the usual expression was "fair suck of the sauce bottle".)

The phrase down the gurgler seems to have originated in the 1980s. An example from the Canberra Times in 1989, quoting then Minister for Science Barry Jones:

"In 15 to 20 years time, we will be well and truly down the gurgler unless business leaders take a more original approach," he said.

If the word gurgler only ever appeared in the stock phrase down the gurgler, I'd be reluctant to accept it. But the Shorter Oxford also give a broader sense: "a person who or thing which gurgles". And the colloquial usage is occasionally varied. For example: "Hopefully the whole boilin' of' em will now slide down the well earned gurgler"; "all of them going down the double-dip recession gurgler".

So I'm adding gurgler as a rare word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites