Author Topic: Antpitta  (Read 2814 times)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Re: Antpitta
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2019, 03:01:12 AM »
Yes, Pat, as in "It's a pitter the cat's just had his tea!"   >:D

You couldn't wish this beauty into a cat's belly! Not the best photo but it shows the bird's beautiful colours.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2019, 01:50:31 PM »
I am often amazed at the absolutely stunning beauty of birds. Thanks for this picture - I wasn't aware of this bird before.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2019, 07:50:50 PM »
Very colourful and probably very tasty!!  >:D

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2019, 01:11:41 AM »
Going back to your first comment, Pat, I'd agree that antpitta is a good candidate for inclusion.  But then, I'm a birder.  I've only seen a couple, one in Panama and one in Costa Rica.  They aren't the easiest ones to find - just like many of the words in Chihuahua.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2019, 02:43:32 AM »
They’re a lot easier to see these days, birdy. There’s a farmer in Ecuador called Angel Paz. He realized that he had antpittas on his property and set about ‘taming’ them. He would provide worms for them at a specific spot and eventually these usually shy birds began to trust him to the extent that they would take worms from his hand. He seems to have started a trend; since seeing several species of antpitta on his property I’ve seen them on several other birding tours, both in Ecuador and in other countries, where they’ve been habituated in the same way.

These are three different species from Angel Paz's farm.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 02:52:43 AM by pat »

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2019, 03:02:17 AM »
Beautiful!  I wonder if that is how we got to see one in Costa Rica?  The one in Panama was definitely a wild one - wouldn't come to the tapes, so we eventually had to hike off the road to see it.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2019, 03:45:07 PM »
OK, pat, I'll accept antpitta. It's listed in, for example, Merriam-Webster online:

any of various small to medium-sized chiefly Central and South American forest birds (family Grallariidae) that have a very short tail and loud, low-pitched song and usually live on or near the ground

Note: Antpittas have been placed especially formerly in the family Formicariidae.

Most of the places where I saw the word used were birder publications, but the Register-Herald, in Beckley, West Virginia had a whole article in 2017, Lost bird rediscovered in jungles of Venezuela, about the rediscovery of the Táchira Antpitta.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2019, 05:58:01 PM »
Thanks, Alan.