Author Topic: PAINTERLY  (Read 2639 times)

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
PAINTERLY
« on: April 04, 2019, 04:41:52 PM »
In yesterday's challenge there were two words - INTERPLAY and PAINTERLY. After a long time I got painterly but it really doesn't strike me as a common word.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Tom

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
Re: PAINTERLY
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 07:12:30 PM »
Is it even a legit word?

Greynomad

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 07:47:44 PM »
I must admit that I felt it was one in a growing list of words that I define as "Chihuahuaisms", or words that may have some logic as to their existence and definition, but I would struggle to find in anything akin to normal use, either common or uncommon. And as for being reasonable words to persons who are reasonably well read, these words (Chihuahuaisms), I consider myself reasonably well read in a general knowledge type basis, and they escape me.

That said I did eventually strike lucky, by my normal method of thinking and finding some words, considering "perhaps it is a chihuahuaism!"
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 07:50:36 PM by Greynomad »

Leedscot

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 09:43:50 PM »
I’ve often seen photographs described as having a painterly feel.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 11:42:42 PM »
Well I've never ever heard of it.

tpc

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 01:41:12 AM »
The term is used frequently in art history classes and books to describe painting style of artists like Van Gogh, Renoir, Pissarro, Sargent, etc. As an art history student I found the term much overused.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 09:06:51 AM »
Yes I looked at the meaning however like so many so-called common words they are only common to those in a niche speciality. Anyhow once again another word is added to my VOCAB!

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 11:58:47 AM »
Never heard the word, and I wouldn't have been able to guess what it meant, except something to do with painting or painters - duh.

Katzmeow

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 01:44:17 PM »
I must admit that I felt it was one in a growing list of words that I define as "Chihuahuaisms", or words that may have some logic as to their existence and definition, but I would struggle to find in anything akin to normal use, either common or uncommon...

That said I did eventually strike lucky, by my normal method of thinking and finding some words, considering "perhaps it is a chihuahuaism!"

:D  I like that; "Chihuahuaisms".  Perhaps thinking of these (to me) obscure words in this way will make me think of them as quirks of the site rather than my usual Whiskey Tango Foxtrot reaction  :laugh:
My truth may not be your truth.  That makes neither of us right or wrong, only different.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 11:36:24 PM »
Is it even a legit word?
Well, Tom, it is a real word - at least it's in the COD, meaning (a) 'of or appropriate to a painter' or (b) 'demonstrating effective use of paint'.
The problem, it appears to me, is that it still doesn't really seem to mean much.

How to use it in a sentence?
How about 'Van Gogh painted in a painterly way.' Of course he did; he was a painter - one of the greatest the world has ever seen.

The M/W examples of 'painterly used in a sentence' are not much better:
'He has a painterly eye.' and 'a painterly picture of the sea

In short, I get the impression that it's a word the English Language could do without.

But wait; maybe, skulking in the darkest recesses of the OED, there are similar words, pertaining to the other arts -
How about
'Rodin sculpted in a sculptorly way.'
'Nijinsky danced in a dancerly manner.'
'Caruso sang in a singerly fashion.'
or even
'Miles Davis trumpeted in a jazz-trumpeterly style'

I somehow suspect we won't be seeing any of these in a Chi game any time soon.

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 02:48:29 AM »
I thought these made sense:

"The most important and the most difficult liberation process we went through, the one that has distinguished our art, was the freeing of colour, the transition to a painterly spontaneity."

"Rain, Steam, and Speed" by J. M. W. Turner (1844) is an example of painterly style." (When I looked at the image, it made perfect sense. What a picture to own and look at!)  https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/Rain_Steam_and_Speed_the_Great_Western_Railway.jpg

But TPC might be able to give some good examples.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 02:51:09 AM by anona »

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 03:05:16 AM »
Is it even a legit word?
Well, Tom, it is a real word - at least it's in the COD, meaning (a) 'of or appropriate to a painter' or (b) 'demonstrating effective use of paint'.
The problem, it appears to me, is that it still doesn't really seem to mean much.

How to use it in a sentence?
How about 'Van Gogh painted in a painterly way.' Of course he did; he was a painter - one of the greatest the world has ever seen.

The M/W examples of 'painterly used in a sentence' are not much better:
'He has a painterly eye.' and 'a painterly picture of the sea

In short, I get the impression that it's a word the English Language could do without.

But wait; maybe, skulking in the darkest recesses of the OED, there are similar words, pertaining to the other arts -
How about
'Rodin sculpted in a sculptorly way.'
'Nijinsky danced in a dancerly manner.'
'Caruso sang in a singerly fashion.'
or even
'Miles Davis trumpeted in a jazz-trumpeterly style'

I somehow suspect we won't be seeing any of these in a Chi game any time soon.

I agree with tpc, the term is used frequently in art history. And although I agree that it's overused...it's not overused in the way you describe here, Mike.

It doesn't refer to everything that was painted. It's usually a pretty distinct style where the brush strokes are visible, like with Van Gogh's or Monet's works.

In contrast, I generally wouldn't consider works from Rembrandt, Michelangelo, Mondrian, etc., as painterly artists.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 06:22:53 AM »
Painterly is not a word I had much trouble with. I have certainly seen this word in newspaper articles that I read -- often reviews of one sort or another. One does not need to be an art history student to know this word. I am living proof of that, never having taken any course whatsoever regarding the world of art.

A book review in the Washington Post from 26 March 2019, on a book not specifically about art:
Serpell is a natural social novelist, capable of conjuring a Dickensian range of characters with a painterly eye for detail.

The Corpus of Contemporary American English at Brigham Young University has 417 examples, at least half of which come from popular magazines and newspapers rather than academic journals.

I did a comparative search on the Google ngram viewer, comparing painterly with patina (a word I believe most Chihuahua players know). While painterly does occur with less frequency than patina, the difference is not as striking as one might suppose.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 11:49:44 AM by rogue_mother »
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

Tom

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 09:16:32 AM »
Thank you mkenuk and anonsi for your descriptions. And RM, too. Clearly, my question about legitimacy was premature.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 09:33:49 AM by Tom »

tpc

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2019, 12:34:00 PM »
Turner is a great example of the painterly style, thanks anona! Maybe the ocean haze has something to do with it? One of my favorite seascape artists is Ryder..check it out!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Pinkham_Ryder