Author Topic: Recitative  (Read 1024 times)

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Recitative
« on: March 28, 2019, 07:17:39 PM »
The seed word recitative was found by only 90 of 312 players in yesterday's 10 letter puzzle.  Although I did eventually get it, I can honestly say it's the first time in my life that I've ever used the word.  I don't think it's a common word. 

Greynomad

• Logologist
    • View Profile
Re: Recitative
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 08:36:38 PM »
I certainly agree. I didn't find the word, and wasn't surprised when I saw how many didn't get the word. It certainly sorted out the members!

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 09:06:20 PM »
I've come across the word in its Italian form recitativo in the sleeve-notes of operatic CDs and such like.
Can't say I've ever seen the 'English version' of the word.

The word that cost me - and several others I suspect - a rosette in this game was iterative

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 10:15:09 PM »
Used it and met it a lot doing O-level music (although I think I'd seen it before then on something like Messiah scores), so I saw it with no trouble. I haven't met the Italian "...ivo".

I suppose it depends on your interests. There are a lot of "common" words I didn't know before I found Chi !

Dragonman

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 10:02:09 AM »
I've come across the word in its Italian form recitativo in the sleeve-notes of operatic CDs and such like.
Can't say I've ever seen the 'English version' of the word.

The word that cost me - and several others I suspect - a rosette in this game was iterative

me too >:(
You are UNIQUE....just like everyone else

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 11:28:50 AM »
Very familiar term to me ... but my undergraduate degree is in music!  :)

Katzmeow

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 02:33:07 PM »
I wouldn't have thought to play it, though it's familiar to me.  I certainly wouldn't have expected it to be considered common.
My truth may not be your truth.  That makes neither of us right or wrong, only different.