Author Topic: woodworking terms  (Read 5627 times)

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
woodworking terms
« on: July 08, 2007, 03:19:58 PM »
It frequently happens that I sand a piece of wood, only to later discover some traces of saw marks.

The wood must be "resanded".

What do you think of adding the following terms:

resand
resanded
resanding

Cheers! :)
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
Re: woodworking terms
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 03:50:18 PM »
I second that!  I imagine, a non-amos, that you tried the word "resand" in today's puzzle, as I did. I still can't quite work out why it was rejected, when other "re" words, which seemed less likely, were accepted. We await a decision, O GAGLE.  :D

Dave

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
    • Dave's Poetry Pages
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 04:07:14 PM »
Hear hear!  There is something very arbitrary about what is accepted using that very common prefix.  The OED appears to have about 2 million of them :)... and I must say that I thought that "resand" was a perfectly good word -- in fact, it's included in Dragon NaturallySpeaking's word list, as I just discovered, so it must have some kind of currency.

Cheers,

Dave
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerneā€¦

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 08:34:32 PM »
I was miffed as well that the word (past and present tense) had not been accepted!   :-\

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 08:36:50 PM »
Well..you saved my percentage...thanks..
 :angel:

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 06:19:12 PM »
I don't think we've previously had a discussion of re- words in general - which is perhaps an indication that just about any you can think of are already in the list.

I haven't found resand in any dictionary yet, but there are plenty of examples on the Web of it and its inflected forms being used. For example: "If the finish is worn to the point that the color of the wood is not uniform or that bare wood is exposed, complete resanding and finishing is necessary." (http://www.watsonwoodfloors.net/recoating.htm) (I also saw a couple of examples from New Zealand where resanding meant "adding sand again", as in the "resanding of St Heliers Beach".)

We recently concluded that rebundle should be allowed, even though apparently not yet in any dictionary, and I think the same should apply to resand (and resanded and resanding).
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 07:47:39 PM »
Ha, ha, the St Helier's beach resanding project was a minefield and a half. The local Maori Iwi were up in arms about sand being relocated from Thames (not far - the other side of a not very large gulf), because of the possible disturbance of bone fragments belonging to ancestors. Eventually everybody concerned negotiated an acceptable solution. Sometimes it's weird living in a society with two very different cultures and value sets, and sometimes it's plain downright hilarious.  :D

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 09:14:31 PM »
Try living in the US these days -- seems like EVERYONE has their own sets of values!

There's Native Americans, the African-Americans, the Latinos, the Middle-Easterners, the women, the gays, the greenies, vegetarians, those with special needs (emotional, physical, etc.) and -- WHEW -- the list goes on and on! Oh, and those for and/or vs. "the war!"

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 02:42:56 PM »
On the subject of the war, was most amused at the weekly (Saturday morning) anti-war protest march I saw when visiting family in Santa Barbara last year. Small, but strident and passionate. My (extremely left wing) uncle looked on fondly and said, well, there are a few other liberals in this town...
I have a photo somewhere, but I can't find it.

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 07:34:40 PM »
That's California for ya!  >:D

Now Cindy Sheehan wants to challenge Nancy Pelosi in an election! Wheeeeeeeee!