Author Topic: Comfit in yesterday's ten letter DISCOMFORT puzzle  (Read 751 times)

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Comfit in yesterday's ten letter DISCOMFORT puzzle
« on: March 09, 2019, 07:12:43 PM »
Even the spellcheck wanted to change it to confit. Never ever heard of it, let alone it be classed as a common word. Thought I was good finding microdot! Comfit, well you live and you learn. I certainly wouldn't have ever thought of this word so it beats me how it's common.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: Comfit in yesterday's ten letter DISCOMFORT puzzle
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 10:55:55 PM »
I found microdot, sitcom, comfit, foci, fiord, coif and formic .

I missed a rosette because I didn't play ...........roof!

Go figure, as they say.

I've known comfit since I was a kid - little candy-coated bits of liquorice / licorice. (another Brit / US spelling pair)

confit, on the other hand, is a totally new word for me; I had to look it up - I'm not much good at cooking terms.

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 04:17:44 AM »
Liquorice comfits: one of my favourite sweets ever. I've just finished a kilo bag I've been eking out for some time. Spellcheckers don't know what they're missing.

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 08:20:49 AM »
I got comfit but it was really a guess.  I thought it might be connected with the word discomfiture.  I've never heard of the sweet.

Microdot was the word that cost me a rosette in that game.

MK, I'm heartened by the fact that even seasoned rosette-getters like yourself miss easy words!  Recently I missed a rosette by failing to play lobe (after having already played lobed!)