Author Topic: demonize  (Read 1642 times)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
demonize
« on: March 05, 2019, 07:51:48 PM »
re the modernized 10-letter game

This was one of those games where the 'big word' jumped off the page at me; the next words I saw were demonize and demonized and I have to admit to being a lttle surprised that this latter pair were classed as uncommon.

At the end of the game, demonized had been played by exactly half of those taking part (161 from 321) and the base form demonize by slightly fewer (150), but in any case they both got as many or more hits than such indisputably common words as ironed, denied and erode, and five times as many as domineer, which only managed 30 plays

Perhaps these two words should be common?

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: demonize
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 09:34:11 PM »
I thought the same thing.  They're both common to me.

doxydaisy

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 10:42:26 PM »
Me too!

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 05:10:43 AM »
I agree.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 09:13:59 AM »
I played demonize and even though I'm in Australia given that modernized was the main word I thought it would follow that demonize/d would be common words. I too missed domineer.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Katzmeow

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 02:53:55 PM »
I missed domineer too.  As for modernize, demonize & demonized,  I would contend that none of these are common - anywhere except the US.
I've often thought that Americans use the 'ize' ending just to give the letter Z more uses  :D
My truth may not be your truth.  That makes neither of us right or wrong, only different.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 03:48:34 PM »
Sorry to disagree, Katzmeow, but in fact Chi's policy is, in nearly every case,  to give equal status to 'British' and 'American' spellings; colour/color, centre/center etc are all equally common.
If it were just a case of one being 'British' and one being 'American', then modernise and modernize would have the same classification.

However, you may be surprised to know that the policy of Oxford Dictionaries (regarded by many as the ultimate reference) is to give the '-ize' form as the 'primary' spelling and the '-ise' form as the alternative.
This is not an attempt on the part of the OED to be 'trendy' or 'American' but to closer reflect the spelling of the original Greek words that these English words derive from.

Oxford spelling is best known for its preference for the suffix -ize in words like organize and recognize, versus the -ise endings that are also commonly used in current British English usage. The spelling affects about 200 verbs and is favoured because -ize corresponds more closely to the Greek root, -izo (-ιζω), of most -ize verbs. In addition to the OUP's "Oxford"-branded dictionaries, other British dictionary publishers that list -ize suffixes first include Cassell, Collins and Longman.

The whole Wikipedia article is here
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_spelling
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 05:52:45 PM by mkenuk »

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 09:13:00 AM »
However, you may be surprised to know that the policy of Oxford Dictionaries (regarded by many as the ultimate reference) is to give the '-ize' form as the 'primary' spelling and the '-ise' form as the alternative.
This is not an attempt on the part of the OED to be 'trendy' or 'American' but to closer reflect the spelling of the original Greek words that these English words derive from.

Oxford spelling is best known for its preference for the suffix -ize in words like organize and recognize, versus the -ise endings that are also commonly used in current British English usage. The spelling affects about 200 verbs and is favoured because -ize corresponds more closely to the Greek root, -izo (-ιζω), of most -ize verbs. In addition to the OUP's "Oxford"-branded dictionaries, other British dictionary publishers that list -ize suffixes first include Cassell, Collins and Longman.

Yep — so we can have the American spelling, the Oxford spelling, and the Cambridge/UK/Canada/Australia/New Zealand spelling. Isn't English great?

Katzmeow

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 02:58:15 PM »
Sorry to disagree, Katzmeow, but in fact Chi's policy is, in nearly every case,  to give equal status to 'British' and 'American' spellings; colour/color, centre/center etc are all equally common.
If it were just a case of one being 'British' and one being 'American', then modernise and modernize would have the same classification.

Wow, thank you for that clarification. 

Yep — so we can have the American spelling, the Oxford spelling, and the Cambridge/UK/Canada/Australia/New Zealand spelling. Isn't English great?

Only problem is remembering all the alternative spellings  :D  Personally, I'm still getting over "lama" with one L from a recent game.
My truth may not be your truth.  That makes neither of us right or wrong, only different.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 03:23:44 PM »
'The one-l lama, he's a priest
 The two-l llama, he's a beast
 I will bet a silk pajama
 There isn't any three-l lllama'

Ogden Nash

I can remember learning that at school about 60 years ago.
Funny how some things stick in your head.

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 06:47:23 PM »
And that brings us to the next item.....pajamas or pyjamas 😔. What a wonderful language!!
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Katzmeow

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 03:53:09 PM »
And that brings us to the next item.....pajamas or pyjamas 😔. What a wonderful language!!

You probably know what I think  ;D