Author Topic: Just when you think you're doing well..  (Read 1435 times)

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Just when you think you're doing well..
« on: February 22, 2019, 09:22:15 AM »
Honestly the last few games I've missed the most basic words - edit and hose for example. That's one of the things I enjoy about this game, you can't get too big for your boots! Except Alonzo is absolutely amazing of course and can't wait to see him back on top.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: Just when you think you're doing well..
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 10:25:51 AM »
My opinion is that the only players who don't miss easy words from time to time -the 'rosette every game club' - are the ones who look up the answers in word-lists and online anagram solvers.

I missed rise and sired in a recent game and the last three words I saw on the permitted game a couple of days ago were the 'anagram trio' of diet, tied and edit.

In cricket, even the greatest batsman gets bowled out first delivery on occasion. Missing a rosette because of an easy word is the Chi equivalent!

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 11:11:57 AM »
My opinion is that the only players who don't miss easy words from time to time -the 'rosette every game club' - are the ones who look up the answers in word-lists and online anagram solvers.

Or compare with their better half!  ;D

I missed rise and sired in a recent game and the last three words I saw on the permitted game a couple of days ago were the 'anagram trio' of diet, tied and edit.

That's actually a quartet: there is also tide. ;D

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 11:36:38 AM »

Indeed.
I had actually played tide; I'm usually a stickler for playing all available anagrams before going on to search for a new word.
This time I must have been distracted!

« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 11:39:12 AM by mkenuk »

TRex

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 11:59:04 AM »

Indeed.
I had actually played tide; I'm usually a stickler for playing all available anagrams before going on to search for a new word.
This time I must have been distracted!

I find if I don't play all available anagrams before moving on to other words, I invariably forget to come back to those words.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 05:20:38 PM »
And that's why I was cranky about edit and hose as I had the others! As to cheating by checking with my better half (which is debatable) it's when I just can't see the big word. But yes that's cheating!
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 05:34:34 PM »
Guilty as charged regarding your "better half" comment, TRex.  But even two heads are incapable of seeing the easiest words.  For some peculiar reason, I always have a problem with 'tiger' and 'giant'.  Must be something to do with my childhood ..... !

I'll sleep in my next life

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 08:07:29 PM »
I seldom have a problem seeing the word tiger but for some reason I always seem to struggle with games which include the word tiger.
giant is one of my 'betes noires' along with titan, rosin and one more which I won't mention as it is in the current 10-letter game. This time I have seen it and played it.

Dragonman

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 04:27:10 AM »
In cricket, even the greatest batsman gets bowled out first delivery on occasion. Missing a rosette because of an easy word is the Chi equivalent!

Using MKs criteria I must be one of the greatest batsmen ever  ;D
You are UNIQUE....just like everyone else

TRex

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 08:00:30 AM »
I also struggle with tiger. Also sedan.