Author Topic: "Clothes" vs "clothe" and related Plural Issues  (Read 54909 times)

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
Re: "Clothes" vs "clothe" and related Plural Issues
« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2007, 12:01:36 AM »
Hmm...I must have missed that.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2007, 12:03:50 AM »
Back me up on the make up usage, anonsi ... you look like you would enjoy scouring the make up counters for the perfect shade of lipstick/blusher/eye shadow/eye liner/foundation ... surely?!  >:D

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2007, 12:11:58 AM »
Who's shirley?

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2007, 12:13:44 AM »
She's my imaginary friend ... a make-up fairy ... who whisks away all traces of crap (as you so eloquently put it) from your face at the end of the day!

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 18, 2007, 12:17:01 AM »
Not my face...

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 18, 2007, 12:19:47 AM »
Yeah, well she's not your friend, miss squeakycleanshinyforeheadpalelipsstubbyeyelashespissholesinthesnoweyes!

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 18, 2007, 12:23:15 AM »
  jealousy jealousy jealousy

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 18, 2007, 12:27:41 AM »
YEAH, RIGHT!!!

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2007, 12:30:01 AM »
Why are we doing make-up in 2 different threads???

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2007, 12:32:13 AM »
Buggered if I know!  >:D

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2007, 12:59:54 AM »
I wondered where the makeup comment came from.  It was out in left field as far as I was concerned!

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 18, 2007, 09:49:37 AM »
A very long time ago......hours, even, there was a comment made about "humble pie".  I did the socially correct thing, and researched the phrase on behalf of my fellow forumites. By the time I returned, I found myself knee-deep in cosmetics. Undeterred, I shall share my findings with you all ;

"In the 14th century, the numbles (or noumbles, nomblys, noubles) was the name given to the heart, liver, entrails etc. of animals, especially of deer - what we now call offal or lights. By the 15th century this had migrated to umbles, although the words co-existed for some time. There are many references to both words in Old English and Middle English texts from 1330 onward. Umbles were used as an ingredient in pies, although the first record of 'umble pie' in print is as late as the 17th century. Samuel Pepys makes many references to such pies in his diary. For example, on 5th July 1662:

"I having some venison given me a day or two ago, and so I had a shoulder roasted, another baked, and the umbles baked in a pie, and all very well done."

and on 8th July 1663:

"Mrs Turner came in and did bring us an Umble-pie hot out of her oven, extraordinarily good."

It is possible that it was the pies that caused the move from numbles to umbles. 'A numble pie' could easily have become an umble pie', in the same way that 'a napron' became 'an apron' and 'an ewt' became 'a newt'. This changing of the boundaries between words is called metanalysis and is commonplace in English.

The adjective humble, meaning 'of lowly rank' or 'having a low estimate of oneself' derived separately from umbles, which derives from Latin and Old French words for loins. (Incidentally, if you feel like girding your loins and aren't sure exactly where they are, the OED coyly describes them as 'the parts of the body that should covered with clothing'). The similarity of the sound of the words, and the fact that umble pie was often eaten by those of humble situation could easily have been the reason for 'eat humble pie' to have come to have its current idiomatic meaning."

So now we know!

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2007, 11:44:40 AM »
I shall never eat humble pie again without thinking of this learned edification, Binks.  8)

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2007, 11:59:42 AM »
 Always 'appy to 'elp, Threeb !

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 18, 2007, 12:04:58 PM »
It's good to see some of your are still here. Been a rough day, but hope tomorrow will be better.

Boy, did I miss a run of posts today! All I've done is spend the past 20 minutes sorting thru them, and they're all fun, as always, and a real uplift! Good that you're still all here, crazy as ever!

(and no, you don't look a BIT like that hag you posted as a self-portrait! My word -- with that cute sweet face! I don't believe it!)