Author Topic: Lieth??  (Read 6825 times)

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
Lieth??
« on: July 17, 2007, 10:31:24 AM »
Biblical? Too old, archaic, irrelevant? Again -- back to the doeth/goest-thou kind of discussion...

What saith ye, o ancient sage?

We awaiteth thy verdict!

(Bowing and walking backward from the throne, eyes averted ... ooooooooopppppppppps! fell down. Most undignified!)

... muttering something about being a humble servant ...
3-B

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
Re: Lieth??
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 10:39:36 AM »
While we're on the subject of words-rejected-in-today's-puzzle (we are, aren't we? I tried "lieth" too! ) I should like to point out, most esteemed GAGL, that  EVERYONE I know says "tisk, tisk" We are not tskers.....they tend to come from over the border, along with the tut-tutters. I was therefore deeply disappointed to have my word thrown back at me - again.

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 10:44:11 AM »
Yes, tisk has been mentioned before (at least twice, I think).  If you had paid attention, you would not have had your hit rate needlessly lowered!

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 10:56:31 AM »
I confess.....I forgot that it was a no-no  (now there's a possibility...if we can have "metoo", then can we have "nono"? Has it ever come up?) but I suppose, since I am so convinced that it IS a common word, I put it in anyway!   :D

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 10:59:03 AM »
And, I'm sure that  it has more than likely been used it quite often in Business Weekly -- which was the one standard that seemed to make "metoo" acceptable, if I remember correctly!  >:D

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 05:45:14 PM »
Iamsuretheywerejusttoolazytopressthespacebar. maybeitwasamoneysavingideatosavepaper.

Dave

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
    • Dave's Poetry Pages
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 07:00:37 PM »
returning to the original topic (!), I just discovered that "lieth" appears in the King James version of the Bible some 59 times in 57 verses.  One which you lot (i.e., the overwhelming female majority of the participants in this group lunacy) should enjoy:

Lev 14:47  And he that lieth in the house shall wash his clothes; and he that eateth in the house shall wash his clothes.

But I digress.  The point at issue, and forgive me if this has been discussed and settled long ago, is that even though the word is archaic it is well and truly recorded (some 59 times!) in what has to be considered the work with the most significant influence, with the possible exception of Shakespeare, on subsequent English literature and upon the language itself.  If we accept "argal" (and we do, it seems), which is considerably more obscure and as far as I can remember is only found in the gravediggers' scene in Hamlet, why not "lieth"?

Dave

(Who is feeling more pedantic, okay, shitty, than usual because of catching some foul pestilence in the nation's miserably cold and gloomy capital)
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerneā€¦

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 07:11:09 PM »
You go for it Dave,
We all have days like that....and feel justified for our actions because we are feeling that way....and often over some relatively trivial something and nothing....
You, perhaps, have justification to feel like everyday...
Knock you socks off mate..you have my permission...and if anyone doesn't like...you send them to me... >:(
 :angel:

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 07:38:32 PM »
yet there is another word, nearly identical, with only the first letter different, that WAS accepted but I haven't the vaguest idea what it means ... perhaps it's not archaic at all but sure looks suspicious to me!

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 10:17:39 AM »
I agree lieth should be allowed. Also liest, which is used in 5 places in the King James Bible, and 42 times by Shakespeare - for example "In thy foul throat thou liest" (Richard III).
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 11:46:06 AM »
Well, THAT was a record reply, o great GAGL -- only the 9th response and I have confirmation. WOW, and thank you. I shall lieth down tonight with a smileth on my moutheth!

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 05:41:14 PM »
Foresooth...
Our greateth VIRAL.. Verily i say unto you alleth...he is of greateth magnitude when it comes to the braineth bits...
Tuggeth your forelocks in his presence...and bow lowly...be ever gracious  for he is king...in my opinioneth...

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 06:03:34 PM »
You are thuch a thilly perthon, T, but you alwayth make me thmile!

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 06:06:47 PM »
Thatuth ith what i'm hereth for...Binketh... ;D
I toldeth you beforeth...if i can maketh oneth perthon smile in a day, i am a happy perthon...
 :angel: