Author Topic: spork???  (Read 3904 times)

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
spork???
« on: July 07, 2007, 01:28:56 PM »
It's a spoon, it's a fork....No wait, it's a spork!  Seriously, can we have this added Alan?

It's defined in dictionary.com.
 :-H

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
Re: spork???
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 01:34:00 PM »
Yeah, I totally agree with you, Anonsi! The all-purpose utensil! It's very popular here, esp. with kids and at church picnics.

ilandrah

• Word-meister
  • News South Wales, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Denizens of Ethos
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 01:56:45 PM »
Gosh, missed this thread and posted my spork comments under skort.
LOL
It just occurred to me that these words do sound a bit vulcan.

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 02:01:40 PM »
It's okay -- my eyes a bit bleary too this time of nite (11 pm here).

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 02:37:27 PM »
Well, I'd never heard of a spork, but I have heard of a splade, also written splayd, which combines a spoon and a blade - but actually it also has fork-like tines (to use a frequent Chi-word). And in researching this topic, I see also a reference to a foon, which is just another word for a spork.

Such implements can also be called runcible spoons, although there was no such thing when Edward Lear invented the word: the phrase was first applied to a spoon with prongs years later, in 1926.

Spork is said to be a trademark, and dictionaries tend to write it with a capital S. But it's very easy to find lots of examples on the Web of people writing it in all lower-case letters, including on The Spork FAQ page.

The splayd was invented in Australia, which is no doubt why they're better known here than sporks. It seems that Splayd is also a brand name, but it is often written with a lower-case S, even on the website of the people selling them. The Powerhouse Museum has a page on the history of the splayd. However, the Macquarie Dictionary has an entry for splade, but not for splayd, and the Wiktionary has examples of the word splade being used in books.

So it seems to me that spork, splayd and splade probably all qualify. (Runcible is already in the word list.) But as for foon - well I'm afraid that doesn't cut it.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 09:37:31 PM »
Aren't sporks what you get to eat cakes....
They use them at the Ritz for afternoon teas...and at Buck Palace at the garden parties..
 :angel:

Mancklin

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 06:49:11 AM »
Get you, Technomc!
Tea at the Ritz and Buckingham Palace! Your sewcial claas is shewing!
mancks

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 07:07:46 AM »
hey mancks,
Nice to hear from you...
You would be amazed at who i have rubbed shoulders with and where...but if i told you i would have to kill you...
My job in London was amazing....and i met all sorts of rich and famous people...i've got some fantastic photos to remind me too....
So who is the most famous person you have ever met?
:angel: