Author Topic: Macbook users  (Read 2040 times)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Macbook users
« on: January 24, 2019, 01:19:09 AM »
Are any of you proficient macbook users? If so, could you help me with something? I have a folder containing photos which I want to sort into name order (i.e. the oldest at the top). Another way to do that would be to sort into 'date created' order. But whichever of those options I chooose, the photos get sorted into reverse name or date order. Why? It's driving me mad! I'm on the High Sierra operating system.

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
Re: Macbook users
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 01:37:31 AM »
Is there the option to select it again? On most Windows devices, if you click to sort on a column, it will do it in ascending order but if you click it again it will sort descending. (Sorry, not a Mac user)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 03:25:01 AM »
Nope. Re-selecting, or choosing another option and then going back to the original one, gives the same results.

guiltypleasure

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 04:55:55 PM »
Hi Pat
If you are in Finder and click on the box that has 'Date Last Opened' in it, it toggles between most recent and least recent file.  Likewise if you click on 'Name' it toggles alphabetically.  Click it a few times and you will see it change order back and forth.
Good luck!
Linda

Leedscot

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 09:33:45 PM »
Pat, not sure which OS you're using (or if it matters), but if you set the item grouping to "None" and display the Column view, when you hover over the "Name" column a small arrowhead appears (see attached). Click on this and the names will toggle between alpha and reverse alpha order. Hope this helps.

Jock

Sorry - just noticed you quoted the OS. I'm on Mojave, but I'm not sure there's a difference. And this pretty much duplicates Linda’s advice. I’ll wake up in an hour or two.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 09:54:06 PM by Leedscot »

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 11:28:42 PM »
I can only put this down to gremlins. I’ve just checked on the MacBook again and it’s working perfectly, showing the name of the column with the up/down arrow next to it, and repeat clicking on either results in alternating the sequence. That definitely wasn’t happening yesterday!

Anyway, it’s working now so thanks for your help, people.

Leedscot

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 12:10:30 AM »
Have a bird pic as consolation. And, yes, it’s on a bird table - not mine, though.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 12:15:42 AM »
Thanks, Jock.  :-* It’s a gorgeous bird. The one that’s been causing all the interest in New York I believe.

Leedscot

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 04:59:36 AM »
Hadn’t heard that. This one was in Leeds on Monday.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 09:17:12 AM »
Apparently one has turned up in Central Park and no one knows where it came from. It’s attracting crowds of people. Are they a common occurrence in Leeds?

Leedscot

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 10:15:07 AM »
There’s a small flock at Adel Dam wildlife reserve - about 6 each of males and females turned up together this week.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 10:18:55 AM by Leedscot »

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 10:51:33 AM »
How lovely. Lucky you!

Leedscot

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 12:46:38 AM »

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 11:00:04 AM »
 No, I hadn’t, Jock. Thanks for the link. I think the selection of photos indicates the subjectivity of deciding what makes a good photo. I thought some of them were excellent but some didn’t impress me at all.