Author Topic: skort??  (Read 3973 times)

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
skort??
« on: July 07, 2007, 12:29:15 PM »
Alan - I had tried to enter it before and neglected to question the word, but I think "skort" is a legitimate word.

Why not allow it? It is described in the American Heritage dictionary as "a pair of shorts having a panel or flap and sometimes in the back to resemble a skirt."

Wikipedia describes it as a portmanteau of "skirt" and "shorts."

I feel confident you will add it to your list of acceptable words.  :angel:

Cheerfully, and with the utmost respect, :D :D
3-B

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: skort??
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 12:36:57 PM »
You're right, Threeb. I will add it to the list!

Incidentally, I tried "threeb" in yesterday's puzzle, but to no avail.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

roberts

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 12:41:21 PM »
Hey 3B

'skort', I thought you were just 'stretching'. To my 'ozzie ear' it sounded like 'skirt' with a New York accent. However, it's listed in Wikipedia...so there you go.

Saturday's Challenge...too many consonants...groan.

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 12:49:32 PM »
Thanks, Alan -- I knew you couldn't even question my suggestion!
But, alas and alack, re my moniker ... perhaps you should just add "threeb" to the list, for the sake of  .... whatever!  >:D

Oh, and Roberts -- if you were to hear "skirt" pronounced by someone in NYC from either the Bronx or Brooklyn ... and probably New Jersey -- it would actually be said "SKOIT"!  ;D ;D

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 01:23:39 PM »
I don't think "threeb" will become part of the language until people start using it in a generic way: "She's a real threeb, wouldn't you say?" But this may never happen, because you're totally unique, Threeb. (I do mean that in a nice way!)

As regards the speech habits of some residents of NYC and Noo Joizy, unless I'm mistaken, that vowel sound in skirt is very similar to the way some Australians say a long E, as in beef. There's a TV comedy show called Kath and Kim that sends up an Australian suburban family, and one of its catch-phrases is "Look at me!" (Said in a stern mother's voice). When people try to write down the phrase, as the character pronounces it, they write "Look at moy!", which isn't quite right, but probably the best you can do without using special phonetics symbols. Anyhow, it seems to me to be much the same sound as in the New York "skoit".
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 01:30:20 PM »
By George, Alan -- I think you've GOT it!!  ;D

Perhaps that should then be written as "skoyt". Or, "sket" ...

I'm a bit confused about the beef part, although I hear it's getting quite pricey!  >:D

ilandrah

• Word-meister
  • News South Wales, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Denizens of Ethos
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 01:55:24 PM »
Spork is also rejected and I always thought it was a word.
A quick google shows a lot of agreement and if we are taking wikipedia as any kind of reference they have a page devoted to the humble spork.