Author Topic: Umpie  (Read 820 times)

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
Umpie
« on: January 22, 2019, 07:56:08 PM »
The other day I tried the formal word for "white maggot" - umpie, and found it was not accepted. I checked it in Collins and Dictionary.com and found it in both as Australian. The spelling "umpy" is accepted which I haven't seen, and the plural umpies. If "umpie" is accepted it probably rules umpies out.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/white_maggot

Over to you, beloved Moderator.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 08:35:54 PM by yelnats »

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Umpie
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 10:33:25 PM »
For the benefit of forumites bewildered by this suggestion, umpie/umpy is an Australian colloquialism for umpire. It's mainly used in connection with Australian Rules football, though I have seen it used in relation to both cricket and baseball (in Australia).

Umpy and umpies were added to the list in 2007 following a suggestion. At the time I found that umpy seemed a more frequent spelling than umpie, though both are used. From what I can see this is still true. Searching on the Age newspaper site and the Big Footy forum both show the umpy spelling is in the majority. Nevertheless, umpie is an alternate spelling recognized by various dictionaries, so it probably should be accepted. And hence umpies should in future be disallowed in normal puzzles. I'll make these changes.

I can't leave the subject without commenting on yelnats's use of the term white maggots, another colloquialism for umpire, but rather dated, since the AFL umpires have not worn white for many years. But regardless of the colour, the AFL has recently been cracking down on the use of harsh language by crowd members, having "Behavioural Awareness Officers" patrol the stands, threatening to evict fans who abuse players or umpires. Former player Campbell Brown was one of many who objected: "Is calling an umpire a bald-headed flog, or green maggot crossing the line? Absolutely not."
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
Re: Umpie
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 01:22:07 PM »
O tempora o mores!