Author Topic: Steepest street in the world  (Read 1523 times)

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Steepest street in the world
« on: January 12, 2019, 01:49:15 AM »
This popped up on my news page: New Zealand versus Wales. Fancy redoing the road to make it steeper if NZ has to, in order to retain the title!

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jan/10/bricks-dont-usually-roll-welsh-town-harlech-worlds-steepest-street

But a few years ago we stayed a couple of miles from Sidbury in East Devon, where the road was 1 in 3, which sounds steeper. Very scary. Perhaps it wasn't steep over a long enough distance.

Any other contenders? Llanhilleth, near us, was featured in the National Geographic for its steep main street many years ago but obviously can't be as steep as these.

The Eshima Ohashi Bridge, Japan at 6.1% looks unbelievable. https://youtu.be/lC4LNAzhFRU

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 02:20:56 AM by anonsi »

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Re: Steepest street in the world
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 03:25:31 AM »
I thought the same, Anonsi!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 06:21:16 AM »
Hi Anona. Was the one in Sidbury where the famous Hovis commercial was filmed?  With the lad pushing his bike up the very steep cobbled street?
If memory serves me correctly there are a couple of streets in Cornwall that are fairly steep.  Foy & Tintagel spring to mind.  Probably no where near on a par with the one in Wales though!
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 06:52:34 AM »
There is a steep stretch of cobbled road in Haworth (home of the Bronte sisters). Very pretty but it tires out many of the tourists.

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 08:13:59 AM »
The Maldives...

The average height of this country of coral beaches is around 4 feet above sea level, and the highest point in the entire nation is just under 8 feet (about 2.4 meters).

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 09:06:33 AM »
Pen: Cornwall, yes! The Hovis advertisement used Gold Hill in Shaftesbury, Dorset, but I don't know how steep it was.

On San Francisco, I found this: https://priceonomics.com/the-steepest-streets-in-/ containing:

"With an astonishing 41% grade, Bradford Street, in the hilly Bernal Heights neighborhood, is the city’s steepest (at least of those surveyed). Admittedly, this stretch is quite short: the majority of Bradford Street climbs steadily at about a 24% grade before exploding into a 30-foot stretch of 41% paved road."

Maybe the really steep part wasn't long enough? It isn't clear whether it is intended for vehicles, either, despite the mention of what would happen to them on it.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 10:39:07 AM »
Quote from: Wikipedia

Canton Avenue, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania's Beechview neighborhood, is the steepest officially recorded public street in the United States and, according to some sources, the world. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, Baldwin Street in New Zealand is the world's steepest residential street.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 07:43:50 PM »

Pen: Cornwall, yes! The Hovis advertisement used Gold Hill in Shaftesbury, Dorset, but I don't know how steep it was.

Thanks Anona I remember now you've told me!! Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...