Author Topic: 'nother possible word  (Read 15179 times)

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
'nother possible word
« on: March 17, 2007, 08:50:55 AM »
Alan:

How about "realine" - as in: "aline new or better," per your online Farlex dictionary.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 'nother possible word
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 03:01:30 PM »
Although I've used "aline" plenty of times in playing, I never really knew whether it was an alternative spelling of "align" or something different altogether. Now I know.

Since the list already has "aline", "alined", "alining" and "alinement", I don't see why it shouldn't also include "realine", "realined" and "realining". I'll include them in the next update.

Thanks for the suggestion, Beeb.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Dean

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 11:41:10 AM »
Funny ... I thought of that one too, but after making a fool of myself with  :-[ Dias  :-\ ... I just thought I would keep quiet  :)

I'm going to go out on a limb here though and suggest cron.  I know it is an commonly used computer term, but I am not sure whether it is generally accepted as a "word" or not.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 11:48:15 AM by Dean »

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 01:12:08 PM »
In some computer systems, cron is a utility that can be used to run regular tasks, such as back-ups, according to a schedule.

My first reaction to your suggestion, Dean, was one of caution. Could this open up the floodgates to a lot of terms that would be meaningless to most players?

However, the Oxford Reference Online reveals that this word has made it into some general dictionaries. The OED says:

→ noun
[usu. as modifier] (Computing) a command to an operating system or server for a job that is to be executed at a specified time: a cron job.
- ORIGIN 1990s: from chronological.

This allays my fears. Also, a lot of other contenders from the world of Unix computing (like ls, pwd and mkdir) would be ruled out by our rule that words must be pronounceable.

So I'm inclined to go with "cron".
Alan Walker

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 12:49:49 PM »
Here's another one for you:  perseid

Don't know why it doesn't accept this astronomical term; that's "over my head".

Cheers, mate!
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 02:19:24 PM »
I think "Perseid" is another case where the word is excluded because it is written with a capital letter. This is a good example of a word that is not a proper noun - it refers to any one of a shower of meteors - but it retains an initial capital from the word it was derived from. In this case the word comes from the constellation Perseus.

As we discussed in an earlier topic, the exclusion of words written with a capital letter causes some anomalous results, but it is the rule usually applied in English language word games, probably because it is simpler than trying to draw the line between proper names and common nouns in borderline cases.

If you can point me to any dictionary that gives "perseid" with a lower-case "p", I'll accept it. In fact if there are any texts at all that write the word that way, it would be grounds for re-consideration. Of course, the same goes for related terms like "Geminids", "Orionids", etc.
Alan Walker

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 05:44:20 PM »
Alan:

How about "monty"?

It has become popularized now and has gotten into the vernacular. Such as, under idioms: if it is "the full monty," it is as complete as possible (per computing dictionary). Plus, it was a very funny movie, long after the seminal (and still even far more hilarious) Python series with Cleese, Idle, etc.  ;D

Thanks,
B-B-B

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 06:47:45 PM »
I tried "monty" myself when I was playing today's puzzle, but when it wasn't allowed, I accepted it meekly.

However, since you've brought it up, B-B-B, I have to look into it. I must say, I'm a bit dubious. The phrase "the full monty" has certainly entered the language, but is the word "monty" ever used in that sense without being part of the phrase?

Google does find a few uses of the phrase "the whole monty", but maybe that's just people who misremembered the idiom. You can also find "full motny", but that's not part of the language, it's just a naughty spelling mistake.

The only word list I could find it in is one called RIDYHEW (the Ridiculously Huge English Wordlist), but I'm not sure how reliable that list is.

Does anyone else have an opinion about this one?
Alan Walker

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 10:32:10 PM »
Hi Guys,
As regards to 'the full monty'..
we use it in several different contexts here in the UK..
It can mean a full striptease..as in the brill movie of the same name..
But we also use it as a phrase for a full English cooked breakfast ie; bacon, eggs, sausage, hash browns, beans, mushroom, tomatoes, toast etc etc. [yum yum]
I have only heard it in it's entirety, never just 'monty'.
So i suspect you are right Alan [as always], i'm not convinced about it's inclusion.
Cheers,
Technomc  ;)
P.S. Monty is an officially accepted Scrabble word
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 11:08:08 PM by technomc »

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 01:09:46 AM »
Okay, Alan and T:

Looks to me like you're right, but T brought up an interesting comparison about the Scrabble rules allowing such words that Chi does not. Sometimes it might be hard to see the difference.

Oh, and yes, T, I do believe we have somehow become the official player/greeters to the forum. Are we that starved for company? I prefer to think we are just helping Alan, busy Chi-master that he is, so we're just picking up the slack a bit.

See ya,  :D
B-B-B

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 07:59:17 AM »
Hi 3B.
[i have decided that as you have become so familiar with me that i have been reduced to T i am reducing you to 3B..hope thats ok???]
You may be right about relieving Alan of some of his duties.
But also i believe there is an element of truth about the being starved of company issue. Since my partner died last Christmas Day i have felt very lonely, especially after the kids have all gone to bed..and i really enjoy the forum and chatting [?] with other folks who enjoy the 'Chi' as much as me.
So thanks, you have saved me ringing the Samaritans on numerous occasions....
Talk again soon.
regards,
Technomc  ;)

Viz

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 09:50:17 AM »
hi technomc - just thought i would express condolonces on the death of your partner - ghastly timing being on xmas day- anyway - good to know that the chi game helps in its own way- cheers - and more gobsmacked admiration for yours and bbb's word skills. (not sure if gobsmacked is an aussie word or not - it means something like awe struck - in case it might have some other meaning in other parts of he world)

chees , viz
Viz

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 10:29:25 AM »
Yes, T -- as I call you without intending any diminishment of your stature -- I too echo Viz's sentiment. It's extraordinary, how life comes at you sometimes, and yet, just as extraordinary, is the human spirit to find ways of healing, no matter how seemingly trivial.

Cheers to you. You are a true survivor!
(And more than my equal at this hypnotic game, as well.)

With respect,  :)
3-B
(I was wondering how long it would be before you might start abbreviating my already-abbreviated appellation, and I certainly don't mind a bit.)

Gaye

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 10:40:18 AM »
Hi T,

I too would like to add my support to Viz's & B3's sentiment.  I was just telling my husband how we were all becoming good mates on Chi and liked to chat with each other.  So let it be known that you have supporters down-under and up-yonder.

Best wishes
Gaye
Gaye
   :)

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 10:56:12 AM »
Hi Viz, 3B and Gaye,
How very kind of you all to offer your words of comfort, it is really nice of you all and has brought a lump to my throat... :'(
this game and forum has given me something to focus on when i would almost certainly have been sitting here feeling very sorry for myself...so a very big thank you.
And you are right Gaye, i do feel like we are becoming long distance pals and i look forward immensely to reading the new posts..lots of them make me laugh out loud...brilliant therapy..and maybe a few of my posts make more sense now that you know a bit of my circumstances..[being sad..needing to get a life..etc. etc.]
So once again a huge thank you to you all.
Take good care,
Technomc  ;)

P.S. we use 'gobsmacked' in exactly the same context here in the UK..