Author Topic: Word suggestion - spoiler Dec 13 9 letter puzzle  (Read 2258 times)

Tom44

• Paronomaniac
  • Pyrotechnics Live
    • View Profile
Word suggestion - spoiler Dec 13 9 letter puzzle
« on: December 15, 2018, 11:52:16 AM »
I would like to suggest adding "axes" as an acceptable rare word.  Yes, axes is the plural of axe, but it is also the plural form of axis.

Axes is the only way to make the noun axis plural. Confusion arises because some mistakenly believe that all nouns ending in s should form a plural that adds es to the end of the word. ... Of note, the plural axes is also the plural form of the noun axe.
The Plural of Axis - Grammar Monster
https://www.grammar-monster.com/plurals/plural_of_axis.htm

Any math person knows that plural and it does not violates the rules as a plural of axis.
Stevens Point, WI

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: Word suggestion - spoiler Dec 13 9 letter puzzle
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 12:28:48 PM »
I tried it too, but wasn't too surprised when it was rejected.  Although, as you say, it does conform with the written rules of the game, the unwritten rule seems to be that if an irregular plural is also the regular plural of a word that is common in Chi (in this case, axe) it isn't allowed.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 01:05:51 PM »
For what it's worth, my opinion is that when the two words in question have different meanings, then both should be allowed.
An obvious example is pants (an item of clothing) which is allowed even though it is identical in form to pants (= 'gasps').
Both pant and pants are allowed as common.

Here, axes (plural of 'axis') is quite obviously a different word from the plural of axe, so both should (imho) be allowed.
It even has a different pronunciation. (Sorry, I don't know how to do phonetic symbols on the forum)

(This particular question is further complicated by the fact that axes is also the plural of ax, which is how some Americans spell the word!)

However, since Alan has declared a moratorium on dealing with all questions relating to plurals, the matter is purely academic.

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 01:59:51 PM »
As I recall, a criterion used by Alan was which was more familiar. I think there was a discussion about divers where Alan concluded it would more likely to be thought of as a plural of diver before it would be thought of in the sense of 'divers ways'. Based on that, I suspect axes would be thought of as a plural of axe before the plural of axis.

Words like pants are the ones I have the most trouble finding — I'm so locked in to avoiding plurals.

On a completely unrelated note on the same puzzle: the letters of this puzzle have an anagram of scenic hat.:D (which isn't a spoiler, methinks)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 02:50:56 PM »
I agree with what you say, TRex; I do feel however that the 'more likely to be thought of ' part is not really very scientific.

It's fine in the case of divers where most people's first thought would be of people swimming underwater rather than the old adjective meaning 'different', but what about a word like nuts? -  'crazy' or 'more than one cashew'?
Unfortunately apps like the Ngram viewer are not much help in such cases; that will simply show the 'global' frequency of the word 'nuts', regardless of meaning.

Incidentally, I think I've mentioned before that as a child in Bible Study lessons I was terribly confused by the bit in the New Testament (Acts II.i) about the disciples speaking in 'divers tongues' after the coming of the Holy Ghost.
'Divers tongues'? 'Underwater languages'?  Very confusing for a ten-year old.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 11:33:19 AM »

Words like pants are the ones I have the most trouble finding — I'm so locked in to avoiding plurals.

Interesting that by far the least played word in yesterday's slapstick game was slacks. (78 from 606) (the 'neo-taboo' word spastic was the next lowest on 256.)
It's a word that seems to have gone out of fashion.
Does anyone buy, sell or wear 'slacks' these days?

Tom44

• Paronomaniac
  • Pyrotechnics Live
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 11:57:39 AM »
I am not a woman but I have it on authority (my wife) that slacks are indeed a common item in a woman's wardrobe.
Stevens Point, WI

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 03:40:14 PM »
I never hear them called that these days, and not for very many years. Is that other people's experience in the UK or just the circles I move in? But I missed it because It's one of those pesky plurals.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 08:31:31 PM »
Slacks?!  Only worn by people of a certain age in the 1950s in the US, surely?!  Strange word and certainly not one in common usage in this part of the world.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 06:24:40 AM »
Hear hear Linda!
Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 08:55:31 AM »
I tried axes and was surprised it wasn't accepted. Slacks is very well known in Australia.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering