Author Topic: peloton  (Read 5723 times)

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
peloton
« on: December 04, 2018, 03:27:24 AM »
Periodically I try to play the word peloton, and every time it fails to be accepted, I make mental note to myself to request its addition to the Chihuahua lexicon. Such an occasion occurred last week, but my mind being what it is, the note failed to stir any action until today. For those unfamiliar with the word, it is the main cluster of cyclists in a bicycle race. RF also refers to clusters of cars on an expressway as pelotons, which is where I first learned the word.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: peloton
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 06:25:39 AM »
I have come across pelaton RM while watching snippets of the Tour de France.
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 06:32:34 AM »
I know the word and its meaning but I probably wouldn’t spot it in a game.

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 07:43:59 AM »
Ditto, Pat, particularly as I've only ever heard and not read it, and thought it was spelt "peleton"!

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 02:34:31 PM »
I too have tried peloton on many an occasion and cannot understand why it isn't accepted. I live in Australia and don't ride a bike however I think many people would have heard the word mentioned in relation to the Tour de France at the very least.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 03:32:54 PM »
I've heard of it from cycle racing, but wasn't sure of the spelling, so I looked it up in dictionary.com

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/peloton

and it is Bohemian glass, but all the examples have nothing to do with glass; just cycling and horses!

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 08:30:42 PM »
I too have tried peloton on many an occasion and cannot understand why it isn't accepted.

I’d imagine the word is a relatively new addition to the English language, one of those French words that we’ve adopted. There are many words ‘missing’ from the Chi lexicon, not because Alan doesn’t think they should be included but because the original word list was imported en bloc and those words weren’t present at the time. That’s why there are frequent suggestions for words to be included, as and when people try to play words that aren’t currently accepted.

Dr. M. Hfuhruhurr

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 12:49:08 AM »
The marvellous Neil Innes answered with this word yesterday with a Tour de France question on Christmas University Challenge.  I thought well I be buggered!
The man with two hemispheres.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 08:25:43 AM »
A word I've never come across, but that's not surprising since I don't pay too much attention to sports.

R-M, my brother always refers to the cluster of cars on a highway as "the belly of the fish," which I believe he said was the nickname (French?) for a mathematical concept of a bell curve that was fat in the middle and slim at each end.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 08:13:26 PM »
The marvellous Neil Innes answered with this word yesterday with a Tour de France question on Christmas University Challenge.  I thought well I be buggered!

I watch Christmas University Challenge every year but I haven’t seen any reference to this year’s in my TV guide. Which channel was it on?

Leedscot

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 09:49:40 PM »
Pat, it was a previous year’s Christmas university Challenge. I think the last one is on BBC4 tonight.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 10:30:06 PM »
Thanks, Jock. I see it now. I thought I’d missed this year’s.

Dr. M. Hfuhruhurr

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 07:51:01 AM »
Sorry Pat, t'was a repeat/recording I saw.
The man with two hemispheres.

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 04:30:05 PM »
t'was a repeat/recording I saw.

The Australian Broadcasting Commission now has "encores". I think because they've already done the repeat.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2018, 05:14:37 PM »
A word I've never come across, but that's not surprising since I don't pay too much attention to sports.

And does this count as serendipity, or coincidence?  Today I just got an on-line ad for a peloton bike.  I suppose I will now see the word constantly.