Author Topic: Scripture 4 Nov 2018  (Read 1502 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Scripture 4 Nov 2018
« on: November 05, 2018, 02:08:37 PM »
Just looked at the solution to this and found the 'common' word IRRUPT - apart from never having heard of this, I don't believe it could be considered common. Just throwing this out there...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Katzmeow

• Logologist
    • View Profile
Re: Scripture 4 Nov 2018
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 02:59:04 PM »
I totally agree.  All these common words are increasing my vocabulary  :-P
My truth may not be your truth.  That makes neither of us right or wrong, only different.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 03:09:29 PM »
It certainly eluded me too, although I have heard of it, l wouldn't consider it common! But you live and you learn. I'll be watching out for birds irrupting from now on though.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 05:25:49 PM »
I don't remember ever seeing the word irrupt, but I'm very familiar with the word irruption:  it's used to describe the phenomenon when a lot of birds that usually hang out in the far north show up in the winter in southern areas.  This year looks like a good one - there are already a number of snowy owls showing up in southern Canada and the States.  It's frequently described as being linked to food supply - either not much food there, or such a successful breeding season that all the "extra" young birds have to move south to find food.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 09:01:05 PM »
I don't remember ever seeing the word irrupt, but I'm very familiar with the word irruption:  it's used to describe the phenomenon when a lot of birds migrate .

There is also an adjective irruptive

Personally, I don't think any of them are particularly common, but others may disagree.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 09:12:04 PM »

There is also an adjective irruptive

Personally, I don't think any of them are particularly common, but others may disagree.

I agree. Like Birdy, I know the word irruption due to my interest in birds but I doubt that it's well known amongst people who don't share that interest, irrupt and irruptive even less so.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2022, 03:48:09 PM »
Irrupt was made rare in 2019. See this topic.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites