Author Topic: Christmas music  (Read 1707 times)

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
Christmas music
« on: December 05, 2018, 03:39:18 PM »
A couple years ago I got tired of being able to play but not being able to sing.  I went in for voice lessons.  I'm better.  The voice lessons have transmogrified into a jam session that does not always include vocals.  I'm learning a bit of music theory and we have a good jam session.  She brings in something to work on or I bring in something to work on.  Who am I kidding?  I call this work?  It is joy.

I like Christmas.  I also like some (but not all) Christmas carols.  Music instructors usually hate Christmas carols, which is understandable.  They have many young students trying to pick out the melody of "Jingle Bells" or "Frosty the Snowman" and missing the target rather badly.  All day long.  This is another form of Hell.

Last year I suggested we do both Ave Maria and Oh Holy Night.  Nailed them both, eventually.  She was rather proud.  This year we are not restricted to vocals.

I drug in an old Ukrainian Christmas carol that has been one of my favorites for the last 50 years.  Her reaction:  What, you want to play that?!?!  Okey dokey, let's get started.  Show me what you've got.

- A
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas music
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 07:45:34 AM »
Can you find a youtube rendition of the Ukranian carol you like, to give us a link? It's good to find new carols. Someone sent me a Jackie Lawson card with background music of "Oh little one sweet, oh little one mild" arr. JSB which I'd not heard before and enjoyed.

Ave Maria: Schubert or Bach-Gounod? When I heard it sung by the "last castrato" Moreschi https://youtu.be/KLjvfqnD0ws it brought me close to tears with relief. I couldn't believe he would still be able to reach those high notes at the end.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 09:03:47 AM by anona »

Matilda

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 02:46:11 PM »
Is it this one a non-amos? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc2taOIxV_M  This is the most well known Ukrainian carol...Carol of the Bells. I love it too.  I'm sure you can do it with some determination and hard work!
Just keep swimming, swimming...or cycling, walking, dancing and singing!

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 07:34:53 AM »
Oh, I do know that tune, though I never knew the name.  And I certainly didn't know it was Ukrainian.  More things to learn every day!

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
Teeny tiny writing
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 03:17:31 AM »
Does anybody know why the writing on this site has become very small?  I should think its something to do with my settings but I can't figure it out.  The actual games are fine it's just the forum that is causing me eyestrain!!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 03:40:56 AM »
Linda,

If you’re using an IOS device you could try going to SETTINGS>DISPLAY & BRIGHTNESS>TEXT SIZE and move the sliding scale up.
Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 08:27:45 PM »
Jack, you are a star!  Thank you so much for your sage advice! xx  >:D

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 04:47:41 PM »
This was indeed Carol of the Bells.  It is one of my favorite carols, but it is not usually done as a solo and almost never as a solo on the hammered dulcimer.  Let's just say it keeps my hands busy.

I have been absent for almost two weeks, having been on vacation in New Orleans.  I tried to hook up with old friends, but that did not work out so I made some new friends. We ended up doing this a Capella in an Irish pub.  No practice.  Standing ovation.
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 05:30:22 PM »
It's time for this again ...

Enjoy!
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...