Author Topic: Looney Les's Lucky Listings  (Read 15385 times)

Les303

Looney Les's Lucky Listings
« on: November 15, 2018, 11:01:34 AM »
Well everyone should be cashed up after backing Santa Anna Lane last week.

This Saturday at Sandown, I like HOLY SNOW (currently 10 to 1 ) in Race 6 Horse 4.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: Looney Les's Lucky Listings
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 10:51:06 AM »
Well I'll reply if no one else will. Santa Ana was a good pick. I wasn't on it unfortunately but I'll have a few bob on your Holy Snow tip.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Les303

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 05:53:20 PM »
G'day Jacki,

In 2016, I had a little bit of a win on the Cup which I " boasted " about on the forum. ( if you go to the forum tab & type almandini into the search field, you will be able to review that thread ).
In that thread, Barbaram relayed how she had invested an exorbitant amount of money on that years cup for absolutely no return so i offered to provide her with a tip for the following years cup.
My tip for the 2017 Cup was for Almandini to go back to back but unfortuneately he never came close.
This year, i tipped Marmello which could only manage second.
Then, the following week,  in an attempt to amuse Ozziejack, i tipped a horse with an usual name " Veery Eleegant" but it also never threatened.
So when S.A.L. came up the next week at such attractive odds, i felt compelled to tip it as i was very confident of its wining chances & saw an opportunity to redeem my reputation as a competent tipster.
It is absolutely no surprise to me that you or probably anybody else bothered to back Santa however when she did win ( albeit very narrowly ) it occurred to me that i should create a new thread dedicated to my horse racing tips just to prove that selecting S.A.L was not just a fluke.
I have no idea how many " punters " are on the forum but i would like to think that even those that are not regular punters might choose to follow my tips, just for a bit of fun & have a dollar each way on my selections, i will try to ensure that my weekly " special " is always at each way odds.
Even if Holy Snow comes out tomorrow & runs stone motherless last, i will continue with my weekly special until the end of December, if i can not come with three winners during that period then i will delete the thread.

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 06:51:58 PM »
Hi Looney.....um, Les  😄
I'm pleased to see a post from you on the lighter side of life. No doubt some keen punters would dispute that horses/tipping is a "lighter" topic...but it certainly is to me, especially when we compare it to Barry's health...or anyone else's health, for that matter.
Yesterday, I thought I might try following your tip this week, but there is a huge problem. I have NEVER placed a bet and don't know how 😦. Any bets on past Melbourne Cup races were placed by a betting friend....usually to no avail...certainly have not broken even!
I have decided in the last few minutes that placing a bet is not a "skill" I actually need to acquire,  so I will be following your thread with interest and keeping my money in my purse. This is not a judgement on anyone placing a bet, and I may change my mind at a later date BUT for now I'll remain an entertained observer. And I know who to ask if I change my mind 😉
I hope your big brother gets better soon,
Moyra
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 07:08:54 PM »
My father's father liked a flutter. One day in 1947, he asked my mother (brought up strict chapel, cards are the "work of the devil", only the Bible on Sunday) to pick a horse, and she picked the winner for him. At the next major race, the 1947 Derby, he asked her to pick again, and said this time he would place a bet for her. She picked Pearl Diver, which came in at 40 to 1. Her luck frightened her so much, she refused to bet ever again.

I wonder if you would have persuaded her to try again, Les?

Les303

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 09:07:49 PM »
Hi Looney.....um, Les  😄
I'm pleased to see a post from you on the lighter side of life. No doubt some keen punters would dispute that horses/tipping is a "lighter" topic...but it certainly is to me, especially when we compare it to Barry's health...or anyone else's health, for that matter.
Yesterday, I thought I might try following your tip this week, but there is a huge problem. I have NEVER placed a bet and don't know how 😦. Any bets on past Melbourne Cup races were placed by a betting friend....usually to no avail...certainly have not broken even!
I have decided in the last few minutes that placing a bet is not a "skill" I actually need to acquire,  so I will be following your thread with interest and keeping my money in my purse. This is not a judgement on anyone placing a bet, and I may change my mind at a later date BUT for now I'll remain an entertained observer. And I know who to ask if I change my mind 😉
I hope your big brother gets better soon,
Moyra

auntiemo,

I love you to bits, you are just like my big sister & mother, you always seem to understand where I am coming from.
Of course, creating the tipping thread is just a distraction for me to take my mind of more serious matters, I do not seriously expect anybody to actually invest their hard earned money on my " Looney Tips " but thought that it might be entertaining for them to follow my progress.

I am not a particularly religious person but i am definitetly convinced that the prayers & positive karma from everybody reading these posts is contributing to my brothers recovery.

Les303

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 09:42:56 PM »
My father's father liked a flutter. One day in 1947, he asked my mother (brought up strict chapel, cards are the "work of the devil", only the Bible on Sunday) to pick a horse, and she picked the winner for him. At the next major race, the 1947 Derby, he asked her to pick again, and said this time he would place a bet for her. She picked Pearl Diver, which came in at 40 to 1. Her luck frightened her so much, she refused to bet ever again.

I wonder if you would have persuaded her to try again, Les?

I would like to think so but just a little bit difficult to answer as i was not born until 1959.

I really enjoyed that story about your great grandparents & i wonder how greatgrandma ever came up with that winner, was the name " Pearl Diver " something which was significant in her life?

Given your genes, it is no surprise that you are prepared to possibly follow my tips, do you mind me asking if you are a regular punter or are you just looking for that prompt that i would have given Grandma, all of those years ago?

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 12:36:31 AM »
Ooh no, sorry - I'm not a betting person. I've never even bought a national lottery ticket, though I do buy tickets at fundraising events.

My mother was sometimes a little fey, but she said the names of these two horses - "Pearl Diver" and the other - just jumped off the page as names she liked. She had had to give up teaching when she had my brother in 1944, but my memory is she said her winnings were nearly as much as a week's salary when she had been working.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 03:29:30 PM »
Well I did my dough as I put $10 on the nose, but it did well to come from last to second.

Les303

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 06:15:27 PM »
Sorry Jacki but the odds on favourite was just too good.

As I listened to the race, I thought of you as a novice punter also listening to the race.
I can just imagine your reaction as Holy Snow dropped back to the tail of the field ( that bloody lunatic Les has no idea, this horse is absolutely hopeless, its going to run last all of the way !!!! )

I try to provide a tip that is going to be a bit  of value  ( any idiot can tip a favourite ) so anything over about 6 to 1 is considered to be good each way odds, I also like to get in early & make my selections on either the Thursday or Friday before a Saturday meeting as this will usually ensure that i get a better price.
I had a $100 each way on Holy Snow on Thursday when it was paying $10 the win & $2.50 a place so even though it only ran second, i still won $50.

So, if you are brave or silly enough to continue to follow my selections ( we need to redeem your $10 ) my number one punting lesson is ; anything at 6 to 1 or over always go eachway that means that if it finishes in the top three you will at least get your money back.

I would like to ask you seriously & would appreciate an honest answer, do you think that your $10 was well spent. Even though it only took a couple of minutes to lose your money did you get just a little bit excited with anticipation as the race approached, did you feel some exhiliration during the call as Holy Snow made his run or at the very least, was it just something different, a little bit of fun but probably something that you would never do again?

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 08:41:30 PM »
I have worked with some punters over the years but have never been inclined to do it myself.

The most interesting was a syndicate of 4, 2 of whom knew a bit about horses. They bet on number or barrier 3 (I forget which). If they didn't win, they doubled the bet. They said they normally won once in about 4 or 5 races. So, 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, and provided it paid more than 2 to 1, they won. They played for 3 months and then stopped; one renovated his kitchen but I forget what the other 3 did with the winnings.

The kitchen renovator then became the office bookie, paying 10% more than the TAB (the legal bookie). He gave that up when someone welched on a $4,000 debt.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2020, 01:30:27 PM »
Ok everyone, it's time to empty the moths out of those wallets & purses to have a little flutter on the return of " Looney Les's Lucky Listings "

Mooney Valley Saturday ... Race 6 Horse 1 ... Wagner at huge odds of 20 -1 (recommend each way )

Good Luck

whisky

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2020, 03:17:38 PM »
Thanks for the tip.

It sort of reminds me of the quip:

"If I could get back all the money I have spent on whisky.
Then I would spend it on whisky."

Michael

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2020, 03:25:47 PM »
That's a clever quip Michael, makes perfect sense to me

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2020, 03:55:08 PM »
Ok I've had a bet on Wagner - the tote is $77-1 - but fixed odds is now down to $19-1 on the ACT TAB.
Fingers crossed for a win!