Author Topic: Aptly named Challenge game (Lubricate)  (Read 2619 times)

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Aptly named Challenge game (Lubricate)
« on: November 04, 2018, 07:52:11 AM »
Man that was hard! I missed two common word and really struggled to get that far. I love a good brainteaser and this certainly did that. One of the words I didn't play but I'd thought of it - auricle - because when I looked it up, its basis was an entomological word and its frequency of use was low, so i figured it wouldn't be a common word having experienced words like this with such roots (medical, botanical etc).
So I ask you, is auricle common?
The other was recital. I like to think I would have thought of it eventually! Thanks Alan for another real challenge.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Tom

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Aptly named Challenge game (Lubricate)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 09:34:41 AM »
As a matter of interest, Jackie, how long would it have taken you to have got to that target-less-two? I don't wish to spend a lot of time in front of the computer hunting for elusive words, unless I'm really close to the Chi target then I might give it a little bit extra. So, I've set myself my own daily target (oftentimes I can't reach that, either) and that really helps with a sense of accomplishment. For Lexigame, anyway. I ask because I'm getting slower (and even unable to get to the trophy) at finding words. I'm not too concerned about that because I'm fully aware that the brain often responds more slowly as we get older. Add to that the frustration of words that are classified rare, are to me common (I know them even if I don't commonly use them) and vice versa. I'm happy to include Chi-classified "rare" words to the target I'm trying to attain, which is Best plus one more plus the seed word. That becomes my challenge, t.i.d.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 10:13:49 AM »
Hi Tom, I probably spent a solid two hours (interspersed by everything you do in a day). I was finding it tough with six common words to go. It was an interesting combination of letters. For example this morning I did the ten letter challenge in about fifteen minutes - but that's unusual!! I am more cautious in the challenge game because I really like to be accurate and keep as close to 100% strike rate as I can.

Tom

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 12:24:06 PM »
Thanks for the response, Jackie. Clearly, your brain moves faster than mine. Happy days.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 12:44:22 PM »
Man that was hard!  Thanks Alan for another real challenge.

Definitely one of the more 'challenging' games of recent weeks.

Like you, I got to six short of the target and came up against the proverbial brick wall.
I did manage to find the 'missing six' in the course of the next few hours, including three in quick succession that ended in -al: - burial, ritual and recital; all very common words, of course, but easily missed probably because they don't appear in Chi very often.  My final word, incidentally, was albeit, which I happened to see in a newspaper article I was reading.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 12:48:12 PM »
I think it was you that said Chi is all about anagrams and I guess that's why this puzzle was so tricky - many of the words that eluded me didn't have any common anagrams.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 01:14:44 PM »
Entomological?
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 01:24:42 PM »
So sorry - you're right - auricle was anatomical.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 01:40:56 PM »
I think it was you that said Chi is all about anagrams and I guess that's why this puzzle was so tricky - many of the words that eluded me didn't have any common anagrams.

Indeed - I'm not sure that it's all about anagrams, but certainly for me playing all available anagrams of a word at the same time is often a good way of getting a high target down to more manageable proportions.

And, yes, none of the six words that held me up - the other two were cutie and rebuilt - has a common anagram using all of its letters..... unless you count talcier!

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 05:11:50 PM »
because I'm fully aware that the brain often responds more slowly as we get older.

My 92 year old mother-in-law who does all 3 or 4 crosswords in the local 'rag' every day was told by her doctor that the reason it takes longer to remember things is that she has 92 years of memories in her brain so there's more to go through to get to the right one, whereas when she was 20, she only had 20 years of memories.

I liked that reasoning.

Katzmeow

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 01:10:59 PM »
...I'm happy to include Chi-classified "rare" words to the target I'm trying to attain, which is Best plus one more plus the seed word. That becomes my challenge, t.i.d.

That's what I aim for these days (now I've stopped using puzzle solvers to get a rosette).  I didn't get auricle, but got all the other words so far mentioned. 
because I'm fully aware that the brain often responds more slowly as we get older.

My 92 year old mother-in-law who does all 3 or 4 crosswords in the local 'rag' every day was told by her doctor that the reason it takes longer to remember things is that she has 92 years of memories in her brain so there's more to go through to get to the right one, whereas when she was 20, she only had 20 years of memories.

I liked that reasoning.

Yes, I use that excuse too - though I'm nowhere near 92.
My truth may not be your truth.  That makes neither of us right or wrong, only different.

Les303

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 07:38:47 PM »
G'day Katzmeow, ( love your clever user name ).

A couple of forumites criticised me when i posted my objection to how you were using a puzzle solver to assist you in achieving rosettes.
They quite rightly pointed out that i should not try to impose my perception as to how this game should be played on to anybody else & everyone is entitled to play the game by whatever method that gives them the most satisfaction.

So i was very pleased to see your recent post, most of us average players simply try to achieve the best score & as long as it includes the big word then we are satisfied with that, any rosette that is attained, without assistance is a bonus.

Would you concede that the rosettes that you are now managing to achieve, while they may be not as prolific , are much more satisfying knowing that you have done it all by yourself without the use of any aids?

Katzmeow

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 01:12:15 PM »

Would you concede that the rosettes that you are now managing to achieve, while they may be not as prolific , are much more satisfying knowing that you have done it all by yourself without the use of any aids?

Not really Les.

So far I've only managed 2 rosettes without the puzzle solvers, which means that most days I am not getting that sense of satisfaction, nor the closure I used to feel when I did find all the common words using the puzzle solver.  I'm also not widening my vocab by trying so many (to me) uncommon words while trying to find the accepted common words.   Personally I find checking the solutions the next day doesn't help me because I'm eager to start the new games, so the missing words from the previous puzzle don't really sink into my long-term memory.

I am going to stick to not using the solvers for now, but at the moment I don't feel I'm learning much from the process. 

My truth may not be your truth.  That makes neither of us right or wrong, only different.

Les303

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 06:10:07 PM »
I was going to try and be funny & say G'day Puss as in pussy as in cat but it just doesn't look right so I definitely won't be doing that,  so ;

G'day Katzmeow,

There are many reasons that I enjoy playing Chi, with the main one being that I find it to be very relaxing & a great distraction from life's daily troubles.
In my humble opinion, I feel that you should play this game by using whatever method  provides you with the most enjoyment & satisfaction.
If that involves using a puzzle solver to relieve your anxiety, increase your vocabulary & give you closure then perhaps you should revert to that method.

I would have a different opinion if you had not been so honest and upfront about letting everybody know how & why you choose to use a puzzle solver.

It's great to see you contributing to the forum, please do keep it up.

Catch you later , Puss.

Katzmeow

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2018, 02:41:23 PM »
I was going to try and be funny & say G'day Puss as in pussy as in cat but it just doesn't look right so I definitely won't be doing that,  so ;

Yeah, I prefer Katz, thanks Les.   Thanks for your advice and encouragement.   :D