Author Topic: toys for 2018  (Read 2006 times)

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
toys for 2018
« on: September 26, 2018, 01:12:04 PM »
Information for the newcomers, I build toys for needy children.  Taking some time off of work in my basement to build stuff that might make Christmas a little better and a little brighter for those who could really use a helping hand is the best way to get into the real Christmas Spirit.  Some people call me an Elf; I am not offended.

The flip side of that is that I am in a really dark mood when I can't make this happen before the deadline for toy donations.  It's just not Christmas!

I build these toys to be heirlooms, not because they are put on a shelf, rather that they are rugged enough to withstand anything the child is likely to do and be in good condition for the grandchildren.  I also build them to be very "playable", that children cannot resist playing with them (children of all ages).

I have many, many stories about building toys.  They are very uplifting but not relevant.

This year we are going on vacation in early December.  Deadline?  Egads!  I seriously need to start early, so that I can deliver on time, ahead of time, and not need to crash the security at the central USMC collection point for a last minute donation.

- A
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Re: toys for 2018
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 05:30:38 PM »
I know you needed the newcomers to know of your good deeds, a non-amos, but your  annual toy-making reminder has come very early this year. It coincided with my first sighting of christmas goods in the shops. I know I’m a bah-humbugger, but I think it’s cynical profiteering. Package everyday goods in fancy boxes and increase the price. Same with chocolate at easter. And we still fall for it.  >:(

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 06:02:24 PM »
Those of us who work in the retail sector don't want to put Xmas stock out this early either but the "high ups" give the instructions. Please don't give the staff on the shop floor grumpy earache about it! The annual rants also get earlier and earlier.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 06:31:30 PM »
Please don't give the staff on the shop floor grumpy earache about it!

Wouldn’t dream of it, cmh. I’ve never been one to shoot the messenger! And being a bah-bumbugger I know that my views differ from most people’s when it comes to christmas.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 05:03:31 AM »
I agree with you Pat.  I also find that the Christmas songs get earlier & earlier.  After about half an hour of listening to Slade, The Pogues, Wham & Wings etc I'm ready to scream!  Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 05:06:54 AM »
Sorry A was not trying to detract from the amazing job you do.  Sadly just not a lover of Christmas.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 11:15:06 PM »
I also find that the Christmas songs get earlier & earlier.

That reminds me of a lovely scene in About a Boy.
Will (Hugh Grant) is able to live a life of ease on the royalties of a truly awful Christmas song which his father wrote and which became a massive hit.
He is shopping in his local supermarket one day when this dreadful song starts playing.

'No!' He shouts, 'It's only November 16th!'

Great film. I thoroughly recommend it to anyone who may not have seen it.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 01:43:44 PM by mkenuk »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 04:22:43 AM »
You're absolutely right Mike that is a great film.  Haven't seen it for ages - must try & find it & watch it again!

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 04:21:18 PM »
There are so many things to like in that film, not least Australian actress Toni Collette who played the eponymous boy's ageing hippy mother.

I saw her again recently in 'Hereditary';

now that is a very scary film.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 10:53:18 PM »
I'm not very good at scary!  Especially if there's a bit of blood & guts thrown in.
Wasn't Toni Collette in Muriel's Wedding?
Another smashing film.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 10:31:12 AM »
I'm not very good at scary!  Especially if there's a bit of blood & guts thrown in.
Wasn't Toni Collette in Muriel's Wedding?
Another smashing film.

Not much blood and guts in Hereditary, it's not a 'slasher' film; the horror is psychological.

Toni Collette was indeed in Muriel's Wedding - she played the title role Muriel, opposite Rachel Griffiths, another very fine Australian actor/actress who has gone on to make a name for herself.
Toni Collette is currently in the BBC serial Wanderlust. I've not seen that yet. I never watch these multi-part serials until all the parts have been shown and I have the complete series.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 07:55:59 PM »
I never watch these multi-part serials until all the parts have been shown and I have the complete series.

I do the same myself, Mike.