Author Topic: various words  (Read 7557 times)

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
various words
« on: July 05, 2007, 11:07:03 AM »
Assorted words for your consideration:

rebundled (would have been a nice 9 letter word)
shitter ("I'm in big trouble now; I'm really in the shitter!")
hotties (attractive people of the opposite gender)

I can find none of these in a dictionary, but can find hundreds of examples for any of them.

Cheers!

:)
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

Dave

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
    • Dave's Poetry Pages
Re: various words
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 11:46:53 AM »
Yeah, in my humble opinion (!) those words certainly have sufficient colloquial usage to legitimise them for the puzzle.  Dictionaries are always behind the eight ball in trying to keep up with current usage, and should never be taken as the final arbiter.

A bit of a problem with common prefixes like re-, though: you can attach them to almost any transitive verb and a native speaker of English will know what you're talking about, but I think you have to make some kind of arbitrary judgement about whether the neologism has sufficient currency to be a "proper" word.  Fortunately we have the services of our fearless moderator to tackle that thorny issue :), the poor bugger.

Cheers,

Dave
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerneā€¦

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 11:49:22 AM »
I too was surprised to find 'rebundled' and 'hotties' rejected. Didn't think of shitter though  :)

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 11:51:31 AM »
and what about EDEN? I know that it's commonly used as a proper noun, but freedictionary.com also lists it as a common noun "eden - any place of complete bliss and delight and peace"

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: various words - warning: small SPOILER
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 12:20:05 PM »
Interesting suggestions, AN-A.

I can't find rebundled, or for that matter, rebundle, in a dictionary either. But I agree it's in wide use, and with meanings that are usually obvious in the context. Often it relates to new business models or technologies. For example, splitting up the electricity supply industry into separate functions, run by separate companies was often called unbundling. (And unbundle is a Chi word.) When some of those companies start swallowing each other up, it might well be described as rebundling. And similar processes can apply to media content, financial services, etc.

So, it's probably just a matter of time before rebundle does appear in dictionaries. I'm in two minds about whether we should anticipate that development in the Chi word list. It's not an urgent issue as far as rebundled is concerned, since today was its big chance to be an extra nine-letter word, and it's missed out on that. But I think rebundle and rebundled should be added to the list, and maybe the former will pop up in a puzzle some time.

I can find shitter in some dictionaries. The Shorter Oxford says it means "a person who or thing which shits" or "a privy, a lavatory; a lavatory pan". I think it should go in our list for future puzzles.

The reason hotties is not allowed is because the singular (whether meaning a sexually attractive person or a hot water bottle) is written hottie rather than hotty. In saying that, I'm giving away a word that can be played (hence the "spoiler" heading), but I'm probably not giving away much, since most experienced players, on having a "...S" word rejected, will immediately try it with the S dropped off.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 05:49:33 PM »
MMMMM!!!!
i think i will leave the intelligent stuff to you intellectuals....
But i am quite happy to discuss 'hotties'....i can think of several...
 :angel:

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 12:18:43 PM »
T - Methinkst thou dost protest too much . . .

You are calling US intellectuals?

Have you looked at the score board lately?
Carpe digitus.

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 12:21:02 PM »
Ever the modest, shrinking violet, that's our T !

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 12:28:49 PM »
Yes, her humility and shyness are known world-wide ... the Dalai Lama has a little image of her tattooed on his navel!  >:D

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 12:44:27 PM »
Sorry, but as a sailing captain I get more into the naval issues than the navel issues . . .
Carpe digitus.

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 12:47:01 PM »
Is there any truth to the rumor that you wear a parrot on your shoulder? Does that eyepatch hinder your musical performance?  >:D >:D

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 02:08:57 PM »
Bobbi, I didn't overlook your suggestion of eden. But so far I haven't seen enough evidence to persuade myself that it's ever written without an initial capital. I see the reference on www.thefreedictionary.com that you mention, but it's not in the actual dictionary entry; it's in the Thesaurus entry. And I can't help wondering if it's just some typographical glitch, because so far I haven't seen any dictionaries that give eden as an alternative, or any quotes from literature that write it that way.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 02:17:09 PM »
BBB - No, eyesight is not required.  I play a rather large marching bass drum, and cannot see where I am going anyway.

Yes, there have been several performances in which I have tripped over various obstacles and went inverted over my drum.  As of yet, all of these unfortunate occurrances have all been before the drummers started wearing kilts.  Knock on wood!
Carpe digitus.

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 05:38:18 PM »
Hey annonnnymouse...
I have never considered myself to be an intellectual.....i am exceptionally clever, with rapier like humour, extremely gifted and talented, with the gift of the gab, and i know lots and lots of words...but not intellectual...and of course i am the modest shy shrinking violet that Binks has, very intuitively, described.....???
How flattered i am that you would think so..a man of your fine and upstanding rank...
As to the navel/naval thing....i have an affinity with both...
My first husbands' ship was blown to smitherines in the Falklands war, and i lost so many friends...
And i am very partial to a nice 'innie'....

Thank you forumates for your kind comments...

:angel: