Author Topic: Is there a case to make polenta a common word?  (Read 2087 times)

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Is there a case to make polenta a common word?
« on: September 12, 2018, 08:16:03 AM »
For the second time in the last few weeks, my brain has come up with polenta and ive excitedly added it thinking the last common word has been found. However, it's classed as a rare word. Is it? I know you have some guidelines when looking into this Allan. Could you look at polenta please? With the world unifying over food, words like tamale and taco are common, why not polenta? Thanks
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a case to make polenta a common word?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 09:42:55 AM »
I had to look it up to found out exactly what it meant, so, for me anyway, most certainly not common.

Earlier this week a UK politician stated that he thought that the British Labour Party was now made up of 'quinoa' eaters. (Is that word in Chi, by the way?'

Whatever happened to 'meat and two veg' as the nation's standard diet?

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 10:46:26 AM »
I had to look it up to found out exactly what it meant, so, for me anyway, most certainly not common.

Probably not common in Thailand (and why would it be?!), but we have some in our pantry.

Whatever happened to 'meat and two veg' as the nation's standard diet?

I was brought up to think 'meat, potato and two veg'. Potato was always there and the 2 veg could change. But it's now going on for 40 years since the meat was there.

nineoaks

• Word-meister
  • Florence, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 03:41:50 PM »
Polenta: a common word in my world.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 06:06:41 PM »
I’ve heard of the word, and indeed usually play it when it appears but, like Mike, I had to look it up to see what it is.

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 08:30:29 PM »
It is in every supermarket in England now. Somebody must have made a polenta cake on Bake Off at some point so perhaps it is an educational programme after all!!!!!!

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 09:28:31 AM »
I've never heard of tamale, but polenta I've known about for 25 years or so. Every now and again I feel it as an unpleasant duty to try cooking it, only be be perplexed and eventually throw the rest of the packet away. Making it isn't that difficult, just tedious - the problem for me comes in trying to eat it and wondering why I'm bothering. Anyway, I'd vote for its being a common word.

Katzmeow

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 01:41:23 PM »
We eat it regularly (instant polenta only takes 3 minutes once the water has boiled), usually letting it set, reheating & slicing.  Nice base for cheese & mediterranean veges.

I was surprised it was considered a rare word.
My truth may not be your truth.  That makes neither of us right or wrong, only different.

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 05:11:21 PM »
Thanks, Katzmeow. I'll try the instant polenta. Perhaps the tedium of preparing the standard stuff has influenced how I feel about the outcome. (Although I'll happily do it for risotto, risotto does seem worth the effort and polenta doesn't.)

Katzmeow

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 01:29:56 PM »
Thanks, Katzmeow. I'll try the instant polenta. Perhaps the tedium of preparing the standard stuff has influenced how I feel about the outcome. (Although I'll happily do it for risotto, risotto does seem worth the effort and polenta doesn't.)

Yes, it put me off too.  When I finally found a shop that sells the instant stuff I bought 8 packs! Probably have enough to last me a few years.  And yes, it's strange how risotto is different when it comes to all that stirring.
My truth may not be your truth.  That makes neither of us right or wrong, only different.

Tom

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 02:18:32 PM »

Possibly so, but truth is truth. Truth cannot really be mine or yours. It simply is.

Katzmeow

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 03:13:54 PM »
Possibly so, but truth is truth. Truth cannot really be mine or yours. It simply is.

See, that  just proves my point.  ;D

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 01:11:37 PM »
I'm not sure how common "polenta" is in the U.S., but I believe it is now easy to find in ordinary supermarkets, at least in my area.  I've certainly seen it on menus.  That doesn't make it common all over the world, of course.