Author Topic: word suggestion: liturgise  (Read 816 times)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
word suggestion: liturgise
« on: August 31, 2018, 06:39:45 AM »
More common in the -ize form, but the OED recognises the -ise form and the example given for liturgize is
They, who bring these oblations in remembrance of the Lord, approach not to the dogmas of the Jews: but, liturgising spiritually, they shall be called the sons of wisdom.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: word suggestion: liturgise
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 05:27:03 PM »
In dealing with another suggestion a couple of days ago, I said I thought it was the last outstanding new word request. I was wrong. This suggestion from TRex had been overlooked.

Currently we don't allow either liturgize or liturgise. The fact that these are in the OED is not totally persuasive, as that is far too big and all-inclusive a work. However, the Shorter Oxford also lists liturgize, noting the alternate form with the S. The Shorter Oxford (two hefty volumes in print) seems to be about the right scope for our list.

Spelling this sort of word with an -ISE ending is particularly favoured here in Australia, so it's no surprise that I could easily find some usage examples of liturgise in Australian sources. The Facebook page of St Eustathios Church posted a video last year with the caption:

His Eminence Archbishop Makarios of Australia liturgising at our Church in South Melbourne with Their Graces Bishop Ezekiel of Dervis and Bishop Iakovos of Miletoupolis.

In fact many of the examples I spotted seem to be from Orthodox churches.

The -IZE spelling is in use, for example, on the Get Liturgized website, which offers "Liturgically-geared, scripturally-grounded resources to help you liturgize with confidence."

These are certainly rare words, but not too rare. I'll add liturgise, liturgised and liturgising to our rare word list, along with liturgize, liturgized and liturgizing.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
Re: word suggestion: liturgise
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 09:12:27 AM »
Thanks, Alan!