Author Topic: word suggestion - hotty  (Read 1490 times)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
word suggestion - hotty
« on: August 25, 2018, 10:34:41 AM »
hotty is given in COD as an alternative spelling for hottie, with two meanings:

a) (British) a hot-water-bottle
b) A sexually attractive person. Very sexist, I know, but it's a word like any other.

It got sorry, not known in the throatily game.

Tom

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
Re: word suggestion - hotty
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 11:04:34 AM »
Had the same problem with 'hotty', but  I was interested by the word 'throatily'. Clearly it's a real word in the English language but to my ears it sounds clumsy and not a word, I think, I would've ever chosen to describe a person who speaks with a throaty voice.

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 03:06:35 PM »
I expected "hotty" to be OK, as well - the hot water bottle meaning.

Les303

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 03:58:45 PM »
I also tried hotty but of course I was thinking of the other meaning.

This reminds me of the time that I missed a rosette by one word which turned out to be hots.
I challenged it only to be told that hots had only been added to the word list as a common word after a suggestion from a certain player, i'm just struggling to recollect who that player might have been ?

I'm also reminded of a warning that was posted by Pat & that is that every time that a new common word is added to the list then it is just making the already daunting challenge of finding all the common words in a game just that little bit harder.

I would have no problem with hotty being added as a rare word & would go so far as to nominate hots  as an example where Alan might consider reversing his original decision & re - classify that word to rare?

No offence Mike.

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 01:51:45 AM »
My wife is always taking a hotty to bed (especially in winter...)
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 02:57:12 PM »
Hotty is in a few dictionaries. I'll add it as a rare word.

This does raise the question of whether we should allow the plural hotties. Normally the answer would be yes, since the -y has changed to -ies, but since we also accept hottie, allowing hotties would cause confusion, so I am leaving well enough alone.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 04:57:45 PM »
Thanks Alan.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2023, 04:31:08 PM »
In this topic, our late friend Les suggested that hots be re-classified to rare.

In the several years that have passed since then, the word's popped up countless times in puzzles, and I've missed it more often than not. That's possibly not a very good reason for making it rare, so I'll mention a couple of other reasons. The word, in the sense that justifies its inclusion as a word, is almost always in the expression the hots, which could lead players to doubt it would be allowed. It can also appear in the expression hots up, little known in the US but common enough elsewhere. E.g. in the Canberra Times in May: "BMW offering deals on in-stock electric cars as sales war hots up." Used in this way, it's not acceptable as a Chi word since it is a verb form made by adding an S. This could also lead some players to expect it to be disallowed.

So in future hots will be treated as a rare word.

I feel as though there could be some other words ending in S that could be treated the same way: tongs comes to mind. What do people think?
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2023, 09:10:41 PM »
Now there's a hornet's nest I will NOT be poking with a stick...  >:D >:D >:D
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2023, 07:07:03 AM »
I don't have a problem with tongs being common, nor with other words ending in s that aren't really plurals (e.g. pliers, shorts, pants).  For me, part of the challenge of the game is to identify words like these.  It would be a shame if that challenge was diminished.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2023, 08:50:36 AM »
I wrote a long and considered response last night then accidentally deleted it! But basically it reflected what Morbius has said.
Alan, you’ve asked our opinion and I would think it a shame that hots became rare, and as for tongs - it is a word on its own.
I too often miss hots, till I realise it’s an anagram of shot and host.
One of the challenges is learning the rules and exceptions of chihuahua and over the past six and three quarter years that I’ve been playing it’s helped to keep it interesting.
It’s your show, but that’s what I think.
And a PS, I’d be happy if NUTS was added to the list!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 09:16:10 AM by Jacki »
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2023, 11:15:15 AM »
And a PS, I’d be happy if NUTS was added to the list!

Jacki, you got me laughing out loud with that!!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2023, 06:13:11 PM »
Happy to "go with the flow" but I do agree with Jacki's comments on hots, tongs and nuts.
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2023, 01:09:57 AM »
I'm an unadventurous traditionalist who really doesn't like change, but I'll adapt to the change in hots:(

That being the case, I'd rather not see changes with regard to tongs (or anything else!) unless it seems an obvious misclassification.

aka53

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2023, 05:31:06 PM »
Happy to "go with the flow" but I do agree with Jacki's comments on hots, tongs and nuts.

I have had some fun putting those three together in one sentence.  No, I'm not sharing!