Author Topic: A new superstar  (Read 2115 times)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
A new superstar
« on: August 21, 2018, 06:24:53 PM »
I see we have a new (anonymous) superstar in today's 10-letter game. All possible 196 words in under 20 minutes. That's what you call cheating with skates on!

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: A new superstar
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 08:43:24 PM »
 ;D

Indeed! And not even the satisfaction of seeing the cup and rosette next to your real name!

Mind, they've slowed down a bit.
Assuming it's the same 'anon', they had a cup in under five minutes in a recent Standard game.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 11:01:30 PM »
Don't see the point :-R
When I very occasionally get a rosette it feels like a real achievement.
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 02:07:20 AM »
Yes, it's weird. I'd love one of the cup-achievers to tell us what he or she gets out of acquiring a cup through methods other than coming up with all the words unassisted. I doubt whether anyone ever will though.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 05:08:44 AM »
You're spot on Pat.  Never in a million years :-R
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Greynomad

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 06:05:13 PM »
Tonight's 10 letter, 215 words in less than 4 minutes is quite spectacular.

Oh well, I guess there are many different ways to enjoy the game.

PS I can't even type at 50 + words per minute.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 06:08:41 PM by Greynomad »

Les303

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 06:25:37 PM »
I had an absolutely shocking day at work today, I started at 6am & it was just one thing after another, finally things started to settle down about 11am when I turned to my workmate Mick & said, geez mate, do you realise that is 11am & we haven't even had a feed yet?
His response was " ***k me, is it really 11am, stuff this, I am going to grab a sandwich & when I come back you can do the same.
After a couple of hours of relative respite, there were further multiple issues which started just after 1pm, by the time that our relief turned up at 2pm all of the issues had been resolved so we were able to give an uncomplicated handover but we just could not get out of there quick enough.

I arrive home feeling just a little bit stressed so i quickly get changed, crack open a stubby & log into to the current challenge game.
Within half an hour i am feeling relaxed, the issues from work are totally forgotten, i am actually feeling quite chuffed as i manage to outscore a couple of my regular " rivals " but there are still many more of my favourite players that are well ahead of me & i still have 3 common words to find. ( still 4 hours before the game closes so i will try to remedy that )

The intent of this post is not to deride anyone ( each to their own ) but simply to explain why i personally enjoy playing the game so much.

When i first started playing the game, i got extremely excited when i managed to achieve a " good " score which included the big word.
Slowly but surely, over time, i have managed to raise the bar a little but i will never delude myself into thinking that one day i will achieve a cup & i could not care less just as i could not care less about those players who consistently play perfect games day after day.

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 08:06:15 AM »
I usually manage to reach "better", but I can only recall once getting all the common words in a game since I started playing, and that was the game where just about everyone got the full list ...
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 01:19:04 PM »
One day, I too will be proud to boast that I once got a rosette.  Until then, I'll be here, plodding along to "good" and "better" and the occasional "best."