Author Topic: overspill,spillover  (Read 1436 times)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
overspill,spillover
« on: August 10, 2018, 04:06:29 AM »
I suggest the recent overspill (common) / spillover (rare) puzzle had those two words reversed. The Ngram Viewer shows the two words relatively close in usage ā€” until about 1970, when spillover's usage soared and overspill's usage declined.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: overspill,spillover
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 04:36:56 AM »
I got overspill quite quickly.  I've never come across spillover so didn't even try it.  As lots of players had 2 nine letter words I should have used some gumption & tried it ???
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 05:48:06 AM »
I too got overspill quite quickly. I don't think I'd heard of spillover (but got it after JCC pointed out there was an uncommon 9-letter word and that if I looked at the common one I'd already got and just rearranged things a bit ... .)

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 02:40:22 PM »
I got spillover quickly but decided overspill wasn't a word until I was at a loss as to what it could be otherwise and it was accepted. Had never heard or read either of them.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 04:57:50 AM »
I too got overspill quite quickly. I don't think I'd heard of spillover (but got it after JCC pointed out there was an uncommon 9-letter word and that if I looked at the common one I'd already got and just rearranged things a bit ... .)
I could have done with somebody to point out the obvious to me!
Long before they built the new city of Milton Keynes they built an enormous estate on the edge of Bletchley which was known as the London overspill. That's how come I knew the word.
Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 05:07:05 PM »
It certainly does seem to be the case that spillover appears in print much more often than overspill. And those who say they've never encountered spillover may perhaps have seen it without registering it. Just yesterday I saw it in the opening sentence of a blog post by economist Tyler Cowen about a forthcoming book:

One theme of Stubborn Attachments is that economic growth in the wealthier countries has positive spillover effects for poorer individuals around the world.

And the Newspaper here, the Melbourne Age has 664 instances in its index. Many of them are business related:

There's a concept in economics called "spillover effects".

It's when one action has an impact ā€“ either positive or negative ā€“ on something seemingly unrelated.

But there are other contexts too:

"The idea is to create an independent 'voice' on this side of the building, whether this space is used for informal concerts and/or spillover for outdoor dining," says Leslie.

A "spillover event", where a virus finds a way to survive in a new host, could happen at any time, with terrible consequences. Ebola was a spillover event, from bats to humans.

The "loyal, high-value consumer" of international brands also helped create a spillover effect into other departments, such as cosmetics and homewares, Ms Brewster said.

In the cautious language of scientific "never say never" the CSIRO says of its experiments: "These results strongly suggest that both spillover infections and species jumps are highly unlikely".

The only strikes Israel had been willing to acknowledge carrying out were those against Syrian positions near the frontier on the Golan Heights in retaliation for spillover from the Syrian civil war into Israeli-occupied territory.

The same newspaper has only 51 hits for overspill. A similar preponderance of spillover is found in large global corpora. For example the News on the Web corpus: overspill = 456, spillover = 4987.

It's true that spillover doesn't appear so often in fiction - though there are some examples - but I feel it pops up often enough in non-fiction and news reporting that it warrants being classed as common. And I agree with TRex that the current situation is the wrong way around: overspill should be classed as rare.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 06:48:50 PM »
Looking at responses, perhaps the continent/country difference again accounts for the differing acquaintance with the word. According to the Ngram site, overspill has always been little used in America but the reverse used to be true in Britain. Now spillover has overtaken overspill in British English too, presumably because of the American influence?

My age telling on me again, I think. Perhaps 30 year olds in Britain are more familiar with spillover.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 07:51:34 PM by anona »

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 08:09:01 PM »
Hi Alan - sounds like a classic case of the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon!
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 05:43:27 AM »
Thank you, sir!

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2023, 05:28:42 AM »
I see from this thread from five years ago that overspill (common) and spillover (rare) were reversed.

In yesterday's challenge puzzle they were found by 283 and 291 people respectively, which would suggest that both words might be equally known. Is there a case for making them both common? It seems that even when this was first raised, overspill was better known to some people than spillover.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 06:03:00 AM by pat »

Scouser1952

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2023, 07:09:24 AM »
Iā€™m with you Pat, first word I picked was overspill, how very British.