Author Topic: Conversations, Jokes, Sketches and Information Sharing.  (Read 8827 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Conversations, Jokes, Sketches and Information Sharing.
« on: July 16, 2018, 04:27:59 PM »
There is a new Martin Walker book out: A Taste for Vengeance: Bruno, Chief of Police 11. Also keep an eye out for In a House of Lies (John Rebus 22) by Ian Rankin to be published in October.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: Conversations, Jokes, Sketches and Information Sharing.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 04:30:37 PM »
Cricket on Thursday (England lost badly but we had a great day out!) & I went out for dinner with my neighbours last night which made a lovely change.
Here's a little something especially for you! Dave Allen on Airplanes

Well, Pen, England and your hero, Joe Root, got their revenge at The Oval.  I bet you wish you had been there to see it.

Thanks for the Dave Allen sketch, it was, as usual, terrific.  I’ll return the favour with Seagull by Pam Ayres
Regards, Jack

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 07:15:34 PM »

Thoroughly enjoyed Taste for Vengeance by Martin Walker

If you like a whodunit I have been enjoying Western Australian writer Felicity Young and her
Dodo McCleland series.  Suggest you look it up on the interweb

Carol

Thanks for a new thread Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 08:57:15 PM »
Hi Carol,

I must admit I hadn’t heard of Felicity Young. I looked her up in Fantastic Fiction and found she has written ten books, 5 of which are Dodo McClelands.  I have bought her first one - The Anatomy of Death aka A Dissection of Murder on Kindle and will report back on how I liked it when I get a chance to read it.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 08:59:00 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 11:13:12 PM »
Afternoon Jack
Thanks for the Seagull :laugh:
You were right about the cricket!  We went to the wrong match - should have gone on Saturday instead! Would have loved to have seen the boy Root scoring all those runs.  He's been a bit out of form lately so hopefully this is a turn round.
Have you come across an author by the name of Robert Goddard?  If not might be worth a look. I've read lots of his books.  Usually a good story with a good twist.  There was only one I started & gave up on. 
Back to the grindstone...
Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 12:59:49 AM »
Pen: which ones would you particularly recommend? I read one years ago and was sufficiently interested to try another, but it didn't appeal so I think I gave up at that point.

I've read and enjoyed several of Martin Walker's books after Ozzyjack's recommendation last year.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 04:43:36 AM »
Hi Anona
I've read Into The Blue, Out of the Sun, Play to the End, Past Caring, Beyond Recall, Caught in the Light, In Pale Battalions, Dying to Tell, Hand in Glove, Take no Farewells & Closed Circle.  There are probably more but I can't remember off the top of my head.  Go to the bookshop or the library & have a read of the back & see if any of them grab you! I was in W H Smiths years ago & struggling to find something to read.  The manager at the time recommended Robert Goddard.  I'd never come across him before that.  My neighbour Pat also enjoys his books.
Good hunting!
Pen

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 05:44:27 AM »
Hi Pen and Anona,

I am still wiping the sleep out of my eyes but I think I can save you a trip to the bookshop or Library.

The website for Fantastic Fiction which I mentioned in a previous post is https://www.fantasticfiction.com/

This is its homepage

This is its entry for Robert Goddard

and, as an example, This is the page for "Into the Blue"

I am off back to bed for another hour's kip before my first coffee of the day.

Good Hunting
Regards, Jack

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 08:34:52 AM »
Thanks Ozzyjack for the link....what a great website!
I'm pretty sure it will "waste" an awful lot of my time. I will need to learn how to walk away from it,
Moyra
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 08:24:45 PM »
Glad you liked it, Moyra.  We look forward to hearing if you come up with any good books as a result of your “research”.
Regards, Jack

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 09:25:29 PM »
I devour crime fiction. Rankin has been a favourite for a long time, but I also enjoy Peter Robinson's 'Banks' series, and C.J.Box's Joe Pickett books (and many more!) Banks has moved from the London Met to Yorkshire and the books are more gentle -or less gruesome - than many. Joe Pickett is a game warden in Wyoming, fairly laconic and very down-to-earth. I think I'm a little bit in love with him.

So thank you for the tips - I'll look those up. Always good to find a whole new series!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 09:30:22 PM »
Have you come across an author by the name of Robert Goddard?
Back to the grindstone....

Now I know why you are one of the sharpest knives in the drawer, Pen.  You have your own grindstone. :D

All the other members of my family are more “well-read” than I am, so although I had not heard of Robert Goddard until I read your post, when June read the post she went around to one of our bookcases and produced a copy of Sea Change.  Apparently, she had read several  of RG’s novels a few years ago and liked them.  So now I have another book to add to my “to-read” list.

June also pointed out the scope of my reading was quite narrow and mainly limited to “whodunits” and so she gave me a copy of Gail Honeyman’s Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine to add to the list.  If anybody else has read this, I would appreciate some feedback.  Apparently, it has won several awards.

Some years ago, I did follow her recommendation to read Kate Atkinson’s Jackson Brodie series and I was surprised to find I liked them despite being originally put off by the blurb.

Turn the lights down low. Here is a little light relief to finish with:

Dave Allen - Ghost Story
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 10:09:45 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2018, 10:05:57 PM »
I also enjoy Peter Robinson's 'Banks' series, and C.J.Box's Joe Pickett books (and many more!)
Always good to find a whole new series!

I read every one of the Banks series down to No.22 Abattoir Blues in 2015 and then I stopped looking for them.  I can't remember why.  There was also the TV series that followed the books fairly closely.

I haven't come across Joe Pickett but next time I'm short on reading material I'll look him up.

I prefer series rather than individual novels because you get to know and like the main characters.  I'll get back to you in the next couple of days with suggestions on some other series that I have liked that you may already know or would like to look into.

Tonight I need to take out the matchsticks that are keeping my eyes open and I have a big day tomorrow. :-Z
Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 10:13:52 PM »

Hi Ozzyjack

I have recently read Gail Honeyman’s Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine and thought it was brilliant.  Beautifully written and an unusual storyline.  I would thoroughly recommend it.  I would also recommend A Man Called Ove by Fredrick Backman - voted a hit by all members of my book club which is most unusual and high praise indeed!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 01:36:23 AM »
Hi Pen and Anona,

I am still wiping the sleep out of my eyes but I think I can save you a trip to the bookshop or Library.

The website for Fantastic Fiction which I mentioned in a previous post is https://www.fantasticfiction.com/

This is its homepage

Thanks for that Jack - that is a really great website!  I can see a lot of time being spent looking at stuff....
I think I need to be more observant & read things a little more carefully in future.  Save you duplicating!
Pen