Author Topic: Conversations, Jokes, Sketches and Information Sharing.  (Read 8853 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: Conversations, Jokes, Sketches and Information Sharing.
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2018, 04:55:57 PM »
I really enjoyed P.F. Chisholm’s (a pen name of Patricia Finney) Sir Robert Carey series.  The main hero of the series is based on the real Robert Carey, 1st Earl of Monmouth (ca. 1560 – 12 April 1639) who was a bit of a lad.  

A short Wikipedia biography of Robert Carey can be found here.

In the novels, in 1592, dashing courtier Sir Robert Carey took up his northern post as Warden of the West March to escape the complications of creditors and court life. Trouble, however, dogs his heels wherever he goes. Carey is on difficult terms with his powerful sire, Henry, Lord Hunsdon.  Hunsdon, son of Anne Boleyn's elder sister, Mary -- and probably of a young King Henry VIII -- swings a lot of weight as "cousin" to Queen Elizabeth. The West March is probably the nearest the English- Scottish Border got to the lawlessness of the early American Wild West.

At this stage there are 9 books in the series.
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2018, 07:32:52 PM »
A fascinating, very bloody, and surprisingly little known period in British history.

I can remember studying the border ballads / folk songs at University and reading about the Border Reivers, as they were known.

Unfortunately the books I had on the subject are long gone and are probably now well and truly out of print

Lawless indeed! I hadn't realised - or I had forgotten - that the word reiver is cognate with modern English ruffian!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Reivers

This series of Sir Robert Carey books seems quite interesting, though I'm not sure how easy they will be to come by in Thailand.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2018, 09:50:02 PM »
Unfortunately the books I had on the subject are long gone and are probably now well and truly out of print.
This series of Sir Robert Carey books seems quite interesting, though I'm not sure how easy they will be to come by in Thailand.

Hi Mike,

Have you considered a Kindle app on your PC.  I am assuming, maybe wrongly, that you can access an Amazon outlet.

Before I read the Carey series, I borrowed my sons George MacDonald Fraser's The Steel Bonnets: The Story of the Anglo-Scottish Border Reivers.  It would appear to be one of the authoritative sources on the subject.  It is available from Amazon.au for $A11 on Kindle or for a fortune even in paperback.  Amazon.au also have the Carey series on Kindle.  I assume the same would be true for other Amazon outlets.

As an aside, I tried to read his Flashman series but couldn't maintain an interest in them.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 09:55:53 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2018, 02:25:46 AM »
Indeed, Jack, I do have a tablet which I use mainly as an e-book reader. Sites such as gutenberg.org mean that I'm never stuck for something to read.

However, for more modern books, Thailand does have a number of very good second-hand English language bookshops. One of the best I know is run by a Brit., a retired English language teacher, who  told me  that he gets a large part of his stock from Thai hotel workers!

To explain; every year Thailand welcomes thousands of tourist visitors from UK, North America, Oz, New Zealand etc who bring with them lots of books to read while on holiday. Holiday over, the visitors depart, leaving most of these books behind them in their hotel rooms; the ever resourceful cleaners, always on the lookout for a bit of extra cash, collect the books and sell them to the second-hand bookshops.

I'll certainly have a look for P.F. Chisholm in the 'historical fiction' section (Yes, this particular shop is as well-organised as that!) on my next visit.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2018, 12:40:54 PM »
The next series that I would recommend to readers who like English historical novels is the Shardlake series by C. J. Sansom. The period covered so far is from 1537 to 1549.

Quote from: the Author’s website
C. J. Sansom was educated at Birmingham University, where he took a Ph.D. in history. He trained as a solicitor and practiced in Sussex, until becoming a full-time writer.

His historical crime series takes the reader to the dark heart of Tudor life with gripping realism, sensational storylines and a host of unforgettable characters. As he brings the sights and sounds of Tudor times to life with masterful depth Sansom provides a masterclass in suspense.

Through the murder and mayhem of the times you will embark on an epic journey that you won’t want to end

Quote from: Wikipedia
The series' protagonist is the hunchbacked lawyer Matthew Shardlake, who is assisted in his adventures by Mark Poer and then Jack Barak. Shardlake works on commission initially from Thomas Cromwell in Dissolution and Dark Fire, Archbishop Thomas Cranmer in Sovereign and Revelation and Queen Catherine Parr in Heartstone and Lamentation. The seventh book, Tombland, will be published in October 2018

Sansom has said that he plans to write further Shardlake novels taking the lawyer into the reign of Elizabeth I.

I am  looking forward to Tombland in October.
Regards, Jack

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2018, 03:37:25 PM »
Meanwhile, since the topic has gravitated toward novels, here's a piece of novel related humour for you all to enjoy :)
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2018, 09:15:35 PM »
The series that I am going to recommend here may interest those who like spy novels or military history of the years covering WWII and the Cold war.

The Dr David Audley series is a series of espionage thriller novels written by the well-known British novelist named Anthony Price.

It is comprised of 19 books in total, which were released between the year 1970 and 1989. The series is also known by the name Dr David Audley and Colonel Jack Butler, based on the names of its two main characters. The novel stand the test of time.

To my knowledge, Anthony Price is still alive but he developed RSI and gave up writing after his last novel.  The series went out of print but has recently been republished.

The following are excepts from several sources.

Each and every novel of this thriller series focuses on a working of a counterintelligence team of agents, who are part of an organization similar to MI5. The agents are shown as referring obscurely to their employer as the Defense Ministry. In the later parts of the series, it becomes absolutely clear that the specific department of the counter intelligence group is like MI5. It is also learned with the progress of the novel series that the budget of the secret agency is kept hidden under the tab of Research & Development.

The first head of the agency is depicted as Sir Frederick Clinton, who is replaced midway of the suspense series by Col. Jack Butler. The agency has its best agent in the role of David Audley. He is a former historian and currently working as a spy. David is well known for making use of unorthodox tactics, his historical interests, and his liking for the quotes of Kipling.

Each of the novels feature David Audley as the main lead. However, the author has not regarded him as the point of view characters for all the books. In the debut novel, David comes across his future wife and is seen as the central character. But, several other operatives get introduced in the later books and have a central plot of their own. They include Jack Butler, Hugh Roskill, Paul Mitchell, etc. Enmities and rivalries do exist within the agents of the department.

Author Price has gone one step ahead from the typical espionage thrillers by describing the stories through the viewpoint of the ones who dislike or oppose David Audley. The spy service described by Price appears to be belonging to the recent Britain, unlike the other spy thrillers. The stories also feature female agents in active roles. A couple of them include Elizabeth Loftus and Frances Fitzgibbon. The series also features repeated appearances from the Russian opponent of David Audley, named Professor Panin.

The novels mostly traverse in real time. The characters are shown changing and evolving with each book. And between the debut novel and the last one, it is depicted that a period of 20 years has passed. Several titled are also shown cutting away from the timeline by depicting the exploits from the youths of Butler and Audley around the World War II. An important feature of all the plots is that all of them relate to a few important historical military events somehow. Most of them typically contain strong elements of archaeology.

A television series adapted from the first 3 books of the series was Broadcast on the British television in 1983. This series is called Chessgame, which was a 6 part television show. The TV series was shown again in 1986 in the form of 3 different TV movies. In the TV series, the characters of Roskill and Audley are given the main roles, while Butler’s character has been renamed and replaced to suit the plots of the television movies. The first and fifth books of the book series have been adapted as one-off dramas by the BBC Radio. Martin Jarvis starred in the lead role of Paul Mitchell in one of the dramas.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 09:34:08 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2018, 12:00:13 PM »
It looks like we have a lot of mystery readers and some historical novel readers on this thread.  How about science fiction/fantasy?

I've probably mentioned too many times that I rarely read Serious Literature - much more a genre fan, though I've not read that many mysteries, more romance and science fiction/fantasy. I read a lot, though (recently about one book a day), and have picked up a lot of words even from the stuff I read.  I've recently been reading young adult fantasy/science fiction because the temporary branch library I use doesn't have much room and I've read most of the adult books. Those YA books are remarkably dystopian - so much doom and gloom.

For historical novels, one of my favorite authors is Dorothy Dunnett - romantic (in the sense of larger than life rather than love interest) combined with  accurate history.

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2018, 02:52:26 PM »
Science fiction? Look up James Blish. Whose writing was both individual and imbued with a finely crafted vision.
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2018, 09:19:04 PM »
It looks like we have a lot of mystery readers and some historical novel readers on this thread.  How about science fiction/fantasy?

For historical novels, one of my favorite authors is Dorothy Dunnett - romantic (in the sense of larger than life rather than love interest) combined with  accurate history.

Actually, Birdy, I'm not sure the thread reveals much about what the readers like but more about what I like.  My wife and my son are quite keen on science fiction/fantasy, I am not.  It would be good if we could get more people to give feedback about what they like and their favourite authors, as you have done.  I have been spruiking my favorite series in case anyone is interested and I only have two to go in detail.

I have not come across Dorothy Dunnett before but I see that she was awarded the OBE for her services to literature in 1992.  So I will be putting her on my reading to-do list.
Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2018, 09:42:19 PM »
Hi Linda,

June read Ove and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Moreover, she reckons I would enjoy it too.

Do you have any other books that you or your book club would rate highly?

Sorry for late response, but have been on holiday and only got back yesterday.  I hesitate to recommend books usually as tastes differ so widely but another book club favourite was 'The Rosie Project' by Graeme Simsion.  Some of my personal favourites are by Anita Brookner but I know they are not too everyone's taste - my friend thinks they are boring because nothing happens in them.  What she means is there is no great drama but I think they are beautifully written and my absolute favourite is 'Hotel du Lac'.  I have also just re-read 'I Capture the Castle' by Dodie Smith - a classic.  Off to get some washing done. Worst part of a holiday is all the flaming laundry that needs attending to!!  >:D

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2018, 11:17:28 PM »
Linda

I looked at the first few pages of Hotel du Lac on preview, and thought it promised well for me. I liked the embedded quotations and wondered how many more there were that a better-read person would recognise. I liked the unhurried pace, and even, for example, how we find out what the character looks like from her own words rather than from the author stepping back and saying "Shirley was a generously-proportioned blonde with a twinkle always lurking in her eyes. Today she was wearing ... " - you know the sort of lazy writing I mean.  In fact, I'm usually quite happy not to be told precisely what characters' physical appearances are - they are as I imagine them.

Thank you for the recommendation. I've ordered a copy.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2018, 11:43:08 PM »
You're welcome, anona.  I would be interested to hear what you think of my favourite book!  I can picture the main character quite easily in my head but also there was a film made about the book and the actress (Anna Massey) fits my idea of her perfectly.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2018, 03:33:59 AM »
A few years ago I got into the habit of reading every Booker Prize winning novel shortly after the awards, so I can remember reading and being very impressed by Hotel du Lac, even though, as you say, not much happened in it.
 But isn't that also true of Virginia Woolf's novels?
I can't remember if I ever saw the film of Hotel du Lac, but if Anna Massey is in it, it will be worth seeing.

One really good film I saw recently - the wonderfully titled Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It's worth two hours of anyone's time.

lilys field

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2018, 11:59:59 AM »
check out podcast:  everythingisalive.com
and select
"Louis, can of cola".

enjoy!!