Author Topic: Feature request  (Read 14292 times)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
Feature request
« on: June 27, 2018, 08:35:51 AM »
When playing Chihuahua on a mobile, I often wish there were a button equivalent to a keyboard's backspace. This is especially true when I think I've entered a longer word only to find one of the letters I touched stayed on the large X instead of moving up to the to-be-played area. I find myself having to clear all the letters and start over (when I haven't pressed the Submit button and received an error!). Instead of having two places which clear all the letters, might one (I'd prefer the spot to the right of the to-be-played area) be converted to removing the last letter?

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
Re: Feature request
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 10:01:46 AM »
Actually, the Backspace key on my keyboard already does this in the puzzle.

It deletes a letter at a time, then I can retype the correct letters once the erroneous letter has been erased.
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

TRex

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 10:16:34 AM »
But there is no keyboard on a mobile.

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 10:18:15 AM »
I play the omitted letter and finger-drag it to the right place on my tablet (but I don't know about phones).

Usually, though, I have entered the word with a letter missing!

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 10:31:03 AM »
Ah, of course. Heat getting to me! :)

When I play the game on a tablet, I just flick the offending letters back to the grid. A technique that should work on a phone. Though there are display size issues to factor in here.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 10:58:00 PM »
Seems like it could be a good idea, TRex.

As anona says, it is possible to play a missing letter and then drag it into its correct place, but I dare say this might be fiddly on some small screens. On the other hand, if a phone screen is displaying everything from the X with the letters across to the button at the end of the space where you build the words, everything will be quite small. Playing on a phone sized screen would be quite a challenge in general I would have thought, but I know some people do it.

Changing a cancel button to a backspace button would probably catch a few people out for a while, but it wouldn't be as annoying as if the change were the other way around.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 01:51:31 AM »
Alternatively, why not just add a new backspace button? :)

It'll take about three lines of HTML, about 5-10 lines of JavaScript code to hook up the event handler, and, say, another 20 or so lines of code for the event handler itself.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 02:33:55 AM »
If we're talking about possible changes to this area, I'd like to put in a request. Would it be possible to leave a bit more space between the Submit button and the back arrow? If I'm playing on my iPad without using the keyboard I sometimes accidentally hit the arrow instead of submitting the word. Clumsy fingers and no big deal, but it would save the frustration of having to enter the word again.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 04:20:18 AM »
If we're talking about possible changes to this area, I'd like to put in a request. Would it be possible to leave a bit more space between the Submit button and the back arrow? If I'm playing on my iPad without using the keyboard I sometimes accidentally hit the arrow instead of submitting the word. Clumsy fingers and no big deal, but it would save the frustration of having to enter the word again.

I’m glad I’m not the only who suffers from this.  After it has happened 3 or 4 times in a game, I remember there is an alternative - the green down arrow to the right of Select game.  I support Pat’s request.
Regards, Jack

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 04:23:59 AM »
Thanks, Jack - even though that green arrow stands out I’ve never consciously noticed it before, let alone used it! I’ll try and train myself to use that instead of the Submit button when I’m not using a keyboard.

TRex

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 06:54:32 AM »
As anona says, it is possible to play a missing letter and then drag it into its correct place, but I dare say this might be fiddly on some small screens.

That's a good way to describe it! Just now, I was trying to replicate the message I often get whilst trying to drag a letter off, but couldn't replicate it. Figures. Scrolling the entire page is one frequent mistake I make when trying to drag a letter off.

I also agree with Pat's suggestion and will also try to train myself to use the green down arrow. In fact, if I enlarge the page a bit so the grid of four buttons in the lower left is below the edge, it might help.

Barbaram

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 09:47:31 AM »
There’s also a ‘submit’ green arrow on the X grid at the position of the last letter you played - I find it easier because my finger is already there, it just needs another tap and the word is submitted.

RL

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 01:10:37 PM »
I also play the green arrow when I play on my phone , but also do it that way on my laptop
lisa

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2018, 02:45:53 AM »
There’s also a ‘submit’ green arrow on the X grid at the position of the last letter you played - I find it easier because my finger is already there, it just needs another tap and the word is submitted.

This is fantastic tip, Barbaram. Thanks.
Regards, Jack

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2018, 03:06:54 AM »
I actually find that one to be a pain. If I’m playing by tapping on the letters, it’s not unusual for what must presumably be a double tap to cause an error such as ‘word doesn’t exist’ because I’m only half way through entering it. I must confess, Barbaram, that until I read your post I didn’t know what caused that particular problem. So thanks!