Author Topic: Worshiped  (Read 1705 times)

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Worshiped
« on: June 23, 2018, 06:33:49 PM »
It's little wonder that only 7% of players got worshiped in yesterday's 10 letter puzzle.  Clearly it's an uncommon spelling.  I remember a couple of years ago a similar issue arose with the word kidnaped.  Alan subsequently reclassified it as rare.  I think worshiped should be treated the same way.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 07:10:00 PM by Morbius »

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: Worshiped
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 08:17:23 PM »
I agree
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 08:58:01 PM »
Thirded, although I wonder if that's just sour grapes because it cost me a rosette !!

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 11:23:40 PM »
I don't think you can base your case simply on the similar appearance of worshiped and kidnaped. In contemporary American English, worshiped and worshipped are used in nearly equal numbers, as shown in both the Corpus of Contemporary American English and the Google ngram viewer. The ngram for kidnaped vs. kidnapped shows a huge gap in the frequency of occurrence. It does appear that the single p version is losing ground. I myself missed it, but when I saw the solution, it was a head-slapping moment, not one for sour grapes.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 07:14:26 AM »
Even so, RM, the fact that so few players got it indicates (to me at least) that that spelling isn't widely known.  That's the main argument in favour of reclassification.

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 01:31:17 PM »
Never seen that spelling here in the UK.
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

Les303

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 06:24:06 PM »
G'day morbius,

I played worship & then worshipped without too much trouble so i was quite satisfied to see that worshipped was acknowledged as the common 10 letter word so I immediately moved on to looking for other words. ( I mean that if your main objective is to find all the common words, why would you even consider looking for or think about an alternative spelling because if it does exist, it would surely be classified as rare ? )
Once the game had closed & I viewed the solution, I immediately wrote down a note to myself to question how worshiped could possibly be classified as common but you beat me to the punch but before I got around to posting a supportive message, Rogue Mother offered her point of view which had me thinking that what I thought should have been a very easy decision for Alan, was perhaps not so simple but to quote part of RM's post " It does appear that the single p version is losing ground " , I feel should be enough to support your original suggestion that worshiped should be reclassified.

Cheers Les
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 06:51:19 PM by Les303 »

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 03:25:41 PM »
The case of kidnaper and kidnaped was fairly straightforward, as these variants are much more rarely used everywhere than the double-P spelling.

But as RM points out worshiped is used quite often in the US, almost as often as worshipped. (My Firefox spell checker, which uses US English, is querying the double-P version, not the single-P one.)

When a common word is spelled differently in the US and the UK, in conformance with a well known pattern (fiber / fibre, labor / labour, etc), we class both variants as common. But this situation - multi-syllable verb with an unstressed final syllable ending in p - is not really a well-known pattern. So I think I have to treat worshiped like any other word that is not commonly used right across the English speaking world, and class it as rare. I'll do the same for worshiper and worshiping.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Les303

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 03:59:23 PM »
I, of course, bow to that decision.

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 04:44:08 AM »
I, of course, bow to that decision.