Author Topic: Royal wedding  (Read 1408 times)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Royal wedding
« on: May 23, 2018, 09:47:39 PM »
Those of you fortunate enough not to be in the UK will hopefully have been spared much of the sycophantic drivel that we've had to endure over here for the last few weeks. But at least it's all over now.

It would appear that invited guests (which presumably excludes those 'commoners'' who were told to take their own food and drink as none would be provided for them) were given a so-called goody bag with these contents:

Marriage Order of Service booklet
Commemorative chocolate coin
Wedding labelled spring water bottle
Royal wedding fridge magnet
Handbag shortbread, made specially for the wedding day
A 20% off voucher of Middle Ward shop at Windsor Castle which can be used for online purchases.

In other words, tat. And now many of those people are selling their goody bags on eBay for bids of hundreds of pounds. One seller confesses that the 'handbag' shortbread (whatever that is) has been eaten but the empty packet will be included. How splendid.

I think a lot of the auctions are cons (one apparently has 103 bids, the top one currently standing at £50,100). I know I'm a miserable old curmudgeon, but are these people truly nuts?

(As you may have guessed, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool republican!)

Edit

It appears that the ‘handbag’ shortbread that appears in the descriptions of many of the items for sale should read ‘handmade’. People must have copied and pasted a description from somewhere without even checking to see if it made sense. Definitely nuts.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 10:24:19 PM by pat »

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: Royal wedding
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 10:18:34 PM »
The madness extended all the way here to Australia.  I honestly can't understand why Australians are so interested in the British royals.  My sister-in-law feigned illness so she could stay home and watch the wedding rather than go out to dinner with the rest of the family.  We had our own celebrity experience that night - Dennis Lillee was dining at the same restaurant.  I think he's more worthy of veneration than any of the royals. 

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 10:21:23 PM »
Anyone who’s done anything worthwhile is more deserving of veneration than the royals, who simply hold the positions they do purely by dint of birth.

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 10:51:16 AM »
They have accomplished at least one thing.  We went a whole day without having to deal with horrible news from Trump.  I'm sure he was despondent.

On a more serious note, some of the royal family have espoused the concepts of public service and humanitarian good.  Not all of our politicians here in the US have done so.  I would not be one to throw stones, but that's just me.

- A
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 05:26:41 PM »
Some indeed have, though not all. I'm not madly royalist but I think the Queen has a deep sense of public service and has done her job better and with more dignity than come-and-go PMs would have. And I've quite a lot of room for Anne. However, the thought of Camilla as queen sickens me - I read that making her queen is the top of Charles's to-do list. I'd find it more encouraging if he had higher priorities.

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 06:58:24 PM »
They have accomplished at least one thing.  We went a whole day without having to deal with horrible news from Trump.  I'm sure he was despondent.

On a more serious note, some of the royal family have espoused the concepts of public service and humanitarian good.  Not all of our politicians here in the US have done so.  I would not be one to throw stones, but that's just me.

- A

Funny you should mention pushing Trump off the front page ... here's an article that you might find amusing :D
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...