ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Re: HI
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2018, 02:28:45 PM »
Hi Lisa,

We have friends up Upwey way (actually in Selby but couldn't resist the alliteration) and the number of parrots and kookaburras near their place is a joy...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

RL

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 01:01:00 PM »
Hi, unfortunately we also have lots of cockatoos (actually too many) they appear to have chased a lot of rosellas away, and they can be very distructive.

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2018, 05:18:38 PM »
I've heard they like western red cedar verandas and tear them to bits. I've seen where they have attacked wattles for a grub inside, and they rip more than half the trunk off so the top falls off.

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 07:15:01 PM »
Yep. Cockatoos destroyed one of our 130-year-old red cedar window shutters.

RL

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2018, 08:58:34 PM »
hi Rose, today we went to my sister in laws who lives in belgrave heights,we stopped at birds land so i could see your house, previously  i  had the wrong  one( as you said yours is on a corner) ,yours  still looks in good condition  and not a cockatoo in sight   :)

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2018, 06:08:32 PM »
Hi Lisa

Thank you for the update  :)

Regards,

Rose

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2018, 05:24:23 AM »
Calilasseia, we've noticed that there are bird lovers in the forum, we live at the foot hills of the beautiful Dandenong Ranges in victoria Australia and have some lovely birds around,the King parrots are particularly beautiful, and it's lovely to hear the Kookaburras laughing .
lisa

Sorry about the delay in replying, been up to my neck in JavaScript programming. :)

When my brother John was alive (emigrated to Australia in 1967, settled in Brisdane, then became a roadtrain driver and in his time, saw pretty much everything Australia has to offer), he told me about the fun aspects of living there, such as having Cockatoos and Rosellas at your bird table. Trouble being that although they're gorgeous to look at, they make an apocalyptic din when they gather in numbers. John used to joke that if you had Rosellas turning up at your bird table, you never needed to buy an alarm clock. :D

Thanks to him, I learned why 'Galah' has been co-opted into Australian slang to describe someone who can't stop talking. :)

Then of course there are Emus. Which provide a hilarious piece of history. Namely, that the Australian Army went to war against Emus in the 1920s ... and lost. :D

Though if you want to see truly outlandish birds, you have to travel north to Papua New Guinea, and check out the Birds of Paradise. One of which makes a noise like a video game flying saucer when it's in the mood for baby making.
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

herrybraun

• Neophyte
    • AOL Instant Messenger - #49+Sector+12+Ne
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Near+Football+Stadium+Khanpur+Kh
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2019, 06:13:34 PM »
Hi, I am Herry Braun, single male from Leeds, UK. I am sales and marketing head at local clinic Call Lane Aesthetics. I would be happy to introduce me here.

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2019, 07:07:33 PM »
Hi Herry, welcome to the forum.

I know Leeds well, since I was born and brought up in Yorkshire - in a little place called Conisbrough, near Doncaster, famous for its Norman castle. I have relatives living in Cleckheaton.

I hope you get lots of enjoyment from both the Chi puzzles and the forum.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 09:15:34 PM by blackrockrose »

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2019, 08:05:13 PM »
Hello, Herry. Glad to have you with us.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites