Author Topic: HI  (Read 5973 times)

RL

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
HI
« on: June 13, 2018, 12:59:09 PM »
Hi fellow Chi players,this is my first post although I've been playing for several years under various names (lisa in upwey, lisa in hongkong, lisa in singapore) but since my husband roger decided he'd "help me " we've changed to RL.   A special "Hi" to RM, it's our challenge to get as near as possible to your score in the standard game, first thing we do is look at where "mother" is ,and when we see you've got the rossette it makes our day,next best thing to us getting it which only rarely happens.
lisa

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: HI
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 01:21:42 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Lisa.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Les303

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 01:48:13 PM »
Hello Lisa,

I shouldn't say its about time that you finally decided to join in, but it is.
Just make sure that Roger not only helps you with the standard game but also helps you with the forum & don't forget, you can discuss anything that your little heart desires in the " More or Les " thread.

Welcome to you both from Les303

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 06:18:23 PM »
Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the forum.
Regards, Jack

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 07:24:33 PM »
Welcome, Lisa. Good to have you with us.

As Les said, you can talk about anything in the ‘More or Les’ thread, but that’s also true of the whole ‘Whatever’ section of the forum. You can start your own thread on any subject you like - it doesn’t have to be that thread.

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 01:54:53 PM »
Hello Lisa!

Spend a little time observing diligently, and you'll become aware of some of the quirks of this forum community. Such as the fact that numerous bird lovers share this place with a couple of serious aviophobes. :)

Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 05:18:49 PM »
Hi, Lisa! Have you been quietly reading the forum for years and just decided to join in, or just had no interest until now? You've been playing longer than I have; I wondered what made you decide to join the forum?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 05:20:45 PM by anona »

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 12:12:03 AM »
Hi, Lisa (and Roger)! So nice to make your acquaintance. Many thanks for the kind words. Since you notice when I get a rosette, you are perhaps aware that I've been in slump lately. It could be that you were the inspiration for my rosette last night, the first in quite a while!

Les's thread is the most active right now, but if you are feeling voyeuristic and want to know more about me and what the Forum was like a decade ago, you can browse the thread from when I joined the forum: rogue_mother -- say hello!
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

RL

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 08:10:00 PM »
Thanks every one for your welcomes.

Calilasseia, we've noticed that there are bird lovers in the forum, we live at the foot hills of the beautiful Dandenong Ranges in victoria Australia and have some lovely birds around,the King parrots are particularly beautiful, and it's lovely to hear the Kookaburras laughing .

Anona, yes I've been reading the forum since 2013, but not being very  tech savvy haven't been able to get on before now.

Thanks RM, yes I've now read the thread, gosh you've been playing a long time :), if we were an inspiration to you last night that's great.
We mostly but not only play the standard game wich is 10am our time so morning tea time, but both being retired we can keep playing till almost lunch time if we can't get the 9 letter..

Does any in the forum know of any players older than 91? my mother-in-law recently had her 91st birthday and plays chi as keeping on trying.

lisa

Les303

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 08:59:32 PM »
Thanks Lisa, for your second post which Pat will be very pleased to see you have posted in the appropriate thread although I did notice that there was no mention of Roger, something no doubt that he is probably used to.

I actually asked this same question some time ago but got a limited response, for some reason our older players seem a little reticent in revealing their age which i could not understand as i would be very proud to declare if i was the oldest player on the site, i also asked for nominations as to who might be the youngest player on the site but once again got very few responses.
I have noticed " keep on trying " on the scoreboard, she does very well but to learn that she is 91 years of age simply brings a tear to my eye.

Alan, is there anyway that you could provide an automatic boost of maybe 20 points for any player over the age of 75 ... no wait, i think that Jack is 76 so you had better make it over the the age of eighty?

Cheers Les

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 03:14:16 AM »
... and it's lovely to hear the Kookaburras laughing .

When I visited Australia last year, hearing a kookaburra laugh was high on my wish list and I wasn't disappointed (although I only heard one once). For anyone who might not have heard one, watch this Youtube clip. Watch it till the end when the bird joins its mate - it's hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qix6oUxim3Q

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 05:01:01 AM »
Lisa: I won't qualify as the oldest player, but my father must have until he died just five days before his 100th last August. He was in hospital and nursing homes for the last ten weeks of his life, and for the first few weeks of that I used to take him the Standard game letters every day to feed his addiction. Before that, he would sometimes play online, but usually just pick up the letters and do the game on paper because he found it tricky not touching the wrong parts of his iPad and closing it down: "This damn thing - it's thrown me out again!"

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2018, 09:52:10 AM »
Hi Lisa

I wish you a belated welcome to the forum.

I wasn't sure if you were currently living in Upwey (you mentioned several places). My husband and I have led a very peripatetic life and lived just up the road from you in Tecoma for a couple of years (1974-1976) at the bottom of the hill on the road that goes down from the railway station (McNichol Road). In those days we had one neighbour, and the rest was untouched bushland, although there was a large farm directly opposite us. Google Maps street view shows me that it's quite different now. We worked in Melbourne and drove up the hill every morning at 7am to catch the train to the city. Once a week we followed the aromatic truck of the 'night man' up the road (and, yes, we were one of his 'customers').

Pat's post about kookaburras reminded me that we lived opposite the Birds' farm. ('Birds' was the name of the family who owned it.) One morning we woke to the sound of mooing, to discover that part of their herd had escaped and were wandering around our unfenced garden.  A couple of years after we left, the farm was used as a setting for the TV mini series 'Against the Wind', starring Jon English.

Again, Google Maps tells me that the farm is now the 75-hectare Birdsland Reserve - nothing to do with birds, more to do with Birds, I assume. But I do remember the abundant birdlife, the occasional wallaby, the flood-prone creek that sometimes approached our doorstep, and the ever-present sound of Puffing Billy.

Regards, Rose

RL

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 09:47:36 AM »
Thanks Rose , yes we still live in upwey having moved here from upper ferntree gully in 1985, I too remember the nightman as we also had a "pan" .
Yes Birds land is quite popular now it's a retarding basin with 2 rather large dams on it my grand children like going there to feed the ducks, I know the house you refer to and don't believe it has changed too much over the years, but will have a better look next ime I pass it.Where Sandells rd hits the highway there are traffic lights
 , they pulled down the dairy and there's now a Mc Donalds on that site.
Tecoma railway station hasn't changed it's still tiny and still a  single  track line, there is talk of building a multi story railway parking lot at Belgrave.
Nice "chatting" with you
lisa

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2018, 02:00:54 PM »
Hi again Lisa

The house we lived in now stands at the junction of Sunnyhill Road and Apsley Road (although neither road existed then) and is now 1 Apsley Road. It had been moved there in two pieces by the previous owners (although we didn't find that out until after we bought it!).

We were very young, fresh off the boat from England, and were annoyed by a big stand of rampant blackberry bushes on the edge of our block, quite different from the tame blackberry bushes we were accustomed to in England. So, at the height of a very hot summer, we thought it would be a good idea to get rid of them by setting fire to them. Not surprisingly, the fire soon spread to long grass on one of the surrounding vacant blocks, and up the hollow trunk of a dead tree. Luckily, the single neighbour I mentioned previously, a laconic and laid back bloke with many generations of Aussie heritage behind him, trundled out his extremely long hose and calmly proceeded to put the fire out. He must have thought 'Idiot Poms', but kindly didn't say so. That was the first of many lessons we have learned about our adopted country in the 44 years since then. 

Regards, Rose