Author Topic: Strange nature of today's Standard puzzle (2018/05/30)  (Read 4085 times)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Re: Strange nature of today's Standard puzzle (2018/05/30)
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2018, 07:21:24 AM »
So I did.  >:D

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2018, 09:32:19 AM »
Hey now, the challenge is in making sure you get every word, even the hyper-rare ones, even though the list of what is and isn't allowed changes constantly --- AND getting a hit rate of 100 nearly every single time!

I mean, I'm sure it's a challenge making sure the program you use keeps up with the lists concentrating like that every day.

Les303

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2018, 09:40:24 AM »
 ;D

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2018, 03:01:18 PM »
Shame that CYNICISM only has 8 letters!

By the way...was anyone else amused by the number of homonyms in the HEADLINER puzzle ? I know...I'm very easily amused ;)
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2018, 06:38:37 PM »
Auntiemo, you should never confuse cynicism with reality.  :police:

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2018, 01:12:17 PM »

By the way...was anyone else amused by the number of homonyms in the HEADLINER puzzle ? I know...I'm very easily amused ;)

Sorry to sound like a schoolteacher, auntiemo, but I was one for 40+ years and old habits die hard!

Do you mean homonym (two or more words spelled the same but with different meanings) or homophone (two words with different meanings and different spellings that are pronounced the same?)

Example of homonym - bear (an animal), bear (to carry), bear (to withstand), bear (to give birth to)

Example of homophone - pare (to trim), pair (a couple), pear (a kind of fruit)

There were indeed lots of pairs of homophones - hear / here /// herd / heard etc

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2018, 02:41:34 PM »
A homonym is a word that is said or spelled the same way as another word but has a different meaning. "Write” and “right” is a good example of a pair of homonyms.
HOMONYMS are words that sound alike but have different meanings. Homophones are a type of homonym that also sound alike and have different meanings, but have different spellings. HOMOGRAPHS are words that are spelled the same but have different meanings.

You do sound like a teacher and I get that. I was a teacher too...not English though. I can't remember how to do the "quote" thing and I will go back and look...the above were copied & pasted from the many answers that appeared when I Googled homonyms/homophones/homographs....I thought I was fairly safe saying homonyms...but apparently not. No offence taken  ;D
Redlands , Queensland, Australia